website statistics

Auto Racing Discussion Thread

vlad

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wins the Dayton 500 even though he didnʻt grab the checkered flag. Due to NASCARʻs new 2-lap "Overtime", after the first lap is completed if there is caution, the race is stopped immediately and the car in front is the winner.

Ngl totally confused me watching it live.

25 minutes ago, owenp_23 said:

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wins the Dayton 500 even though he didnʻt grab the checkered flag. Due to NASCARʻs new 2-lap "Overtime", after the first lap is completed if there is caution, the race is stopped immediately and the car in front is the winner.

Ngl totally confused me watching it live.

I saw people on a Dutch forum be confused as well, just like the Dutch commentator, but I don't really get how it's so confusing :p

I mean, caution in the last lap = end of race = first car wins, it was fairly straightforward....

I don't like this new thing, because the caution was entirely unnecessary in the first place and so they could easily have raced until the line (and then thrown the caution of course, just to keep things safe), but as much as I disagree with the rule, I didn't find it confusing to be honest :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I saw people on a Dutch forum be confused as well, just like the Dutch commentator, but I don't really get how it's so confusing :p

I mean, caution in the last lap = end of race = first car wins, it was fairly straightforward....

I don't like this new thing, because the caution was entirely unnecessary in the first place and so they could easily have raced until the line (and then thrown the caution of course, just to keep things safe), but as much as I disagree with the rule, I didn't find it confusing to be honest :p 

I guess itʻs not all that confusing, but it just doesnʻt seem right.

Joey Logano, who took second, was interviewed after the race and said, "you donʻt prepare for there to be caution." He was still racing to the finish line and happened to be in second at the wrong time.

The NASCAR overtime rules truly suck, last night's finish was downright terrible and it figures FOX missed the leaders when the caution finally came out on the last lap. It also figures a #### like Stenhouse won the race. This time he didn't actually wreck half the field en route to victory...

4 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

I guess itʻs not all that confusing, but it just doesnʻt seem right.

Joey Logano, who took second, was interviewed after the race and said, "you donʻt prepare for there to be caution." He was still racing to the finish line and happened to be in second at the wrong time.

That I absolutely agree with :p 

One would assume the drivers know though. If you know there can be a caution in the final lap, you might change from timing the move right, to making sure you're in front if at all possible. Or of course stick in second and time your move, but while taking the risk for a caution.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

35 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Snow in February is nothing, even in California. It snowed once in Nazareth, PA in April :p

Snow in Fontana, or anywhere in the LA Metropolitan Area south of the San Gabriel Mountains, is pretty rare. 6.5 Celsius is the average low temperature for Fontana in February. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela