website statistics

Auto Racing Discussion Thread

vlad

Everyone that sucks in video games says, that they weren't taking it serious..

He just didn't want to get embarrassed by losing at video games, so he hired a gamer to play for him, but then got embarrassed even more by that. 

This is a thought, but if you are a pro athlete and don't like, or play video games, don't join this Covid parade and wait to go back to normal. 

Also, it's completely bonkers, that he will lose his regular job, just because of this, but i guess this is something that is expected in 2020 culture.

9 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

He just didn't want to get embarrassed by losing at video games, so he hired a gamer to play for him, but then got embarrassed even more by that. 

This is a thought, but if you are a pro athlete and don't like, or play video games, don't join this Covid parade and wait to go back to normal. 

Also, it's completely bonkers, that he will lose his regular job, just because of this, but i guess this is something that is expected in 2020 culture.

It’s like you said though, he could have chosen not to participate, or he could have just enjoyed himself at the back of the grid. Instead he attempted to cheat and ruined the experience for other drivers. 

I watch a lot of virtual racing, and maybe that’s why I’m so annoyed by these dumbasses that don’t take it seriously, but I don’t think that it’s unfair to have some consequences. 

The IAAF had their backyard pole vault, Kendricks didn’t hire a stand-in. Imagine how pissed Athletics would have been if he had. This is a poor analogy (because I don’t think it would ever happen), but hopefully it makes the point I want it to.

When you are a professional (or elite amateur) athlete, who have a responsibility to set a good example for those younger than you. Other people look towards you as well, so important to model good behavior. Your behavior doesn’t have to perfect (and no one ever will be perfect), but I feel like not cheating isn’t a high standard to set for someone.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s like you said though, he could have chosen not to participate, or he could have just enjoyed himself at the back of the grid. Instead he attempted to cheat and ruined the experience for other drivers. 

I watch a lot of virtual racing, and maybe that’s why I’m so annoyed by these dumbasses that don’t take it seriously, but I don’t think that it’s unfair to have some consequences. 

The IAAF had their backyard pole vault, Kendricks didn’t hire a stand-in. Imagine how pissed Athletics would have been if he had. This is a poor analogy (because I don’t think it would ever happen), but hopefully it makes the point I want it to.

When you are a professional (or elite amateur) athlete, who have a responsibility to set a good example for those younger than you. Other people look towards you as well, so important to model good behavior. Your behavior doesn’t have to perfect (and no one ever will be perfect), but I feel like not cheating isn’t a high standard to set for someone.

Auto Racing is about money. If Santino Ferrucci can find a ride in America then all bets are off. Daniel Abt has HEAVY auto industry family backing, that's why he's a race car driver to begin with. Audi pulled out of Le Mans already and DTM next season, Formula E is their only calling card left and Abt Sportsline is king there.

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Auto Racing is about money. If Santino Ferrucci can find a ride in America then all bets are off. Daniel Abt has HEAVY auto industry family backing, that's why he's a race car driver to begin with. Audi pulled out of Le Mans already and DTM next season, Formula E is their only calling card left and Abt Sportsline is king there.

Which is one of the reasons I hate auto racing. No matter what league you watch, there will always be 2 or 3 teams that dominate, and no one else will ever have a chance.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wish is one of the reasons I hate auto racing. No matter what league you watch, there will always be 2 or 3 teams that dominate, and no one else will ever have a chance.

There's a different twist to the plot these days. The tobacco ban has basically driven most of the meaningful privateers off. Even former greats like Williams in F1 are struggling big time. It's a manufacturer and big company sport these days. You can barely find genuine sponsors but car manufacturers can provide all the money hence they call the shots.

52 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

He didn't 'hire' a gamer, and as they had already said in a public live stream before Saturday's race: like half of the drivers he doesn't care about the position he's in. You could have easily seen that in the live streams during the races where he was often in the back half of the field, he was still very much having fun, which is what these things are about (or should be about).

If the plan was to cheat, they'd at least have used VPN connections or something, but they didn't...for the rather simple reason that it wasn't done to cheat, it was done to pull a bit of a prank and afterwards show that to everyone (again, as they had pretty much discussed already during a public live stream with a good amount of viewers).

People can like his prank, people can not like his prank, fine, as long as people don't go around telling utter bullshit like saying he was trying to cheat.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Which is one of the reasons I hate auto racing. No matter what league you watch, there will always be 2 or 3 teams that dominate, and no one else will ever have a chance.

Wow, that's almost sort of like half the sports out there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There's a different twist to the plot these days. The tobacco ban has basically driven most of the meaningful privateers off. Even former greats like Williams in F1 are struggling big time. It's a manufacturer and big company sport these days. You can barely find genuine sponsors but car manufacturers can provide all the money hence they call the shots.

Teams could get sponsors outside of tobacco companies. I do agree the focus has shifted towards manufacturer teams though.

The only thing i don't like in motor sports is the money drivers. In many cases, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, because your chance to make it in the big leagues will be given to the guy with the big sponsors or rich family heritage, who will fund the team. This has become very obvious in the last 10-15 years, since the costs in motor sports have skyrocketed. 

The dominant car/teams theory is one, that has always been on the table. Is it unfair to the drivers to have different cars? In most ways yes.

But motor sports have always been about not only racing on the track, but competing outside as well. The race of who can build the best car. Any team can have the dominant car, if they work the right way, it's not something that is certain. Mercedes are dominating now F1, but before them it was Red Bull, before them Ferrari, Williams, McLaren. Plus in present day, on most (lower/different) racing series, they have implemented almost the same regulations to the cars, as to have a more driver battle.

No sport is or will be completely fair. I would say the NCAA system isn't fair to the rest of the world athletes, because they don't have the same opportunity in the other countries. The US have found an edge on how to produce super athletes, just like some motor sport teams have found an edge to make a better car, than the rest.  

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Teams could get sponsors outside of tobacco companies. I do agree the focus has shifted towards manufacturer teams though.

Enter the liquor market. :p Johnnie Walker Team Williams sound pretty good to me. Don't know how we haven't seen something like this already.