website statistics

Weightlifting 2016 Discussion Thread

PetrC.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Who says I'm not secretly a top weightlifter?

And I'm not jealous, Kostova being caught for doping is just too predictable :p 

Yep, especially since every Azeri lifter tested positive for the same drug. Obviously they were taking it systematically.

#banbestmen

Does anyone know whether or not Zhou Lulu is actually still active? She seems like the only one who might be able to beat Kashirina, but she has not a single result after the 2014 Asian Games.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Does anyone know whether or not Zhou Lulu is actually still active? She seems like the only one who might be able to beat Kashirina, but she has not a single result after the 2014 Asian Games.. 

I don't think so...or at least she didn't even show up at the Chinese Nationals (where many unofficial world records were broken), which usually in the Olympic year are one of the most important events for their selections...

by the way, Meng Suping's result (140+190=330kg) out there was close to Kashirina's total at the 2015 (and 2013) World Champs (where she got 332 and 333 respectively)...

and at last year's Worlds she even got a better lift in Snatch (145)...so, potentially Meng can compete with the Russian (unless Kashirina gets back to her 2014 results...in this case she would be absolutely untouchable - she got almost 350kg in the Olympic Total that year)

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't think so...or at least she didn't even show up at the Chinese Nationals (where many unofficial world records were broken), which usually in the Olympic year are one of the most important events for their selections...

by the way, Meng Suping's result (140+190=330kg) out there was close to Kashirina's total at the 2015 (and 2013) World Champs (where she got 332 and 333 respectively)...

and at last year's Worlds she even got a better lift in Snatch (145)...so, potentially Meng can compete with the Russian (unless Kashirina gets back to her 2014 results...in this case she would be absolutely untouchable - she got almost 350kg in the Olympic Total that year)

Thanks! I just found the full results of those Chinese nationals and that's some serious stuff going down there :yikes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rk_SqBJl8x9qWtnH3aiKR27l1dKkgcRXCO1A3xAsFIo/edit#gid=0

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Ah, Zhou Lulu... One of those that look like a man. :d

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

On 6/11/2016 at 19:14, MHSN said:

Kostova wasn't in original list. this is only about positive tests from 2015 worlds, I think her sample is suspicious for another event lol

The remaning 13 weightlifters are mostly from Kazakhstan, Belarus, North Korea and Moldova  (plus Lovchev of Russia and a guy from KSA)

Last question, for now :p

How is Salimi doing these days? I saw he lifted 430kg in Tehran, but I'm not sure how to interpret that: A) He's gettng back after injury and starting to get in shape or B) he's still injured and it's not looking good.

Lot of questions these days but I'm trying to vastly improve my 'knowledge' for when the Olympics start :d 

Edited by heywoodu

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Last question, for now :p

How is Salimi doing these days? I saw he lifted 430kg in Tehran, but I'm not sure how to interpret that: A) He's gettng back after injury and starting to get in shape or B) he's still injured and it's not looking good.

Lot of questions these days but I'm trying to vastly improve my 'knowledge' for when the Olympics start :d 

lol feel free to ask whenever you want :d

The answer is A. his 205kg in snatch was surprising for me and he did it quite easily, but in CJ he just didn't push himself , his knee is still recovering and if you watch the video he simply didn't try his usual "Jerk" technique, he tried "squat jerk" which is really hard in heavier weights, he just didn't want to risk his knee right now. I think if he wanted he could Jerk 240 that day , 445-450 is a very good result for him right now and if he improves with the same rate I consider him a favorite even for the gold.

to be honest I didn't expect him to be that good . 430 is a low record but as I said he could life 20kg more if he wanted to risk his knee.

59 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks! I just found the full results of those Chinese nationals and that's some serious stuff going down there :yikes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rk_SqBJl8x9qWtnH3aiKR27l1dKkgcRXCO1A3xAsFIo/edit#gid=0

China's weakness is definitely the heaviest male categories.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

17 minutes ago, MHSN said:

lol feel free to ask whenever you want :d

The answer is A. his 205kg in snatch was surprising for me and he did it quite easily, but in CJ he just didn't push himself , his knee is still recovering and if you watch the video he simply didn't try his usual "Jerk" technique, he tried "squat jerk" which is really hard in heavier weights, he just didn't want to risk his knee right now. I think if he wanted he could Jerk 240 that day , 445-450 is a very good result for him right now and if he improves with the same rate I consider him a favorite even for the gold.

to be honest I didn't expect him to be that good . 430 is a low record but as I said he could life 20kg more if he wanted to risk his knee.

Thanks! Salimi is probably the first weightlifter I ever heard of, so I'm always somewhat interested in how he's doing even though on here I learned he's not much of a "nice guy" (with his PlayStation-playing scandals :p ). Nowadays Om is my favourite, but if you're someone who has absolutely never seen anything of weightlifting, it's easy to see Salimi and think "awesome! He's my favourite now!" :d 

Also I saw that there are some betting odds for weightlifting online since today and if Salimi was still injured, odds of 2 for him not to win the gold seemed quite good, but in this case I'll let that slip :) 

2 minutes ago, Quasit said:

China's weakness is definitely the heaviest male categories.

Yep. I was going through the rankings of the past years and it's incredible to see how China basically dominates especially the lighter women categories :yikes:

Maybe not always in terms of winning everything, but mostly when looking at the vast amounts of Chinese lifters in the world's top-20 in those weights, incredible.