website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

There cant be any doubt that Tallent was robbed in 2012. Of course he got the gold medal, but that will never be the same as crossing the line first and hearing your national athem in addition to that his "market value" probably would have been much higher in Australia is "real" olympic champion, so he could have earned much more money. The story about Schwazer is really funny, if i understood it correct, it happened like this:

He won the gold medal in 2008

Then he noticed that he wasnt good enough, so he started doping, but was still slower at 50 km than in 2008

Then he got caught and was banned for 4 years

This year he comes back clean as a 31 year old and is about 1 minute faster in his first competition than in 2012 when he was caught doping

Did i sum it up correctly?

In the end it tells the who story, when some doper in race walking is called a shame by his own team mates and gets more attention then all the russian dopers in race walking together.

I think it doesnt really matter whether he is clean now or not, someone who used EPO should never again be allowed to compete, because he will profit from it for his whole life, so you could say that he can never be clean, no matter if he is still doping or not.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

oh what a time!!!,:yikes: so I assume our historic first olympic athletics medal dream is likely over, no chance now, I was afraid about Diniz and now Schwazer...oh god..

but well... to be fair, if he´ll not been able to beat them, he doesn´t deserve the medal then..simple as that.

25 minutes ago, hckosice said:

oh what a time!!!,:yikes: so I assume our historic first olympic athletics medal dream is likely over, no chance now, I was afraid about Diniz and now Schwazer...oh god..

but well... to be fair, if he´ll not been able to beat them, he doesn´t deserve the medal then..simple as that.

But Toth still has much faster PB than that.

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

But Toth still has much faster PB than that.

yes he has. but it´s from last year´s march and it not include his traditional WC toilet break between 30-35 km like last worlds champs :d

well, we´ll see, he is trained hard and focused this whole season only for the Rio 50k. He decided to not enter any race before, just training every day. so looking forward what it will done the day D. I really wish him a medal, even a bronze, it would be something unbelievable for our country. something unreal :)

22 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

There cant be any doubt that Tallent was robbed in 2012. Of course he got the gold medal, but that will never be the same as crossing the line first and hearing your national athem in addition to that his "market value" probably would have been much higher in Australia is "real" olympic champion, so he could have earned much more money. The story about Schwazer is really funny, if i understood it correct, it happened like this:

He won the gold medal in 2008

Then he noticed that he wasnt good enough, so he started doping, but was still slower at 50 km than in 2008

Then he got caught and was banned for 4 years

This year he comes back clean as a 31 year old and is about 1 minute faster in his first competition than in 2012 when he was caught doping

Did i sum it up correctly?

In the end it tells the who story, when some doper in race walking is called a shame by his own team mates and gets more attention then all the russian dopers in race walking together.

I think it doesnt really matter whether he is clean now or not, someone who used EPO should never again be allowed to compete, because he will profit from it for his whole life, so you could say that he can never be clean, no matter if he is still doping or not.

No, you forget the part where he asked his girlfriend Carolina Kostner to lie in order to not get tested while "hot" resulting in her receiving a ban as well. Such a gentleman, this Alex :evil:

But indeed, when even his team "mates" hate him from the bottom of their hearts, it's clear enough. Even more so, one of them will actually miss the Olympics because his ticket is stolen by a proven and self-confessed EPO-cheat. It's a miracle he didn't attack Schwazer. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Brazil is showing good results in Race Walking recently, achieving a 4th (Women's) and 8th places (Men's) this weekend. I wonder if Race Walking can give us our ONLY medal in Athletics at Rio...

I think the chance of Brazil winning exactly 1 athletics medal in Rio and this coming from race walking is like 0,01% :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 1 Minute schrieb heywoodu:

I think the chance of Brazil winning exactly 1 athletics medal in Rio and this coming from race walking is like 0,01% :p 

I agree, Brazil has much better medal chances in mens long jump and mens/womens pole vault. In mens race walking there is no medal chance and on the womens side maybe a very small chance, but i think medals on the womens side will go to China, Czech Republich, Italy or Russia. On the mens side medals should go to China, Japan, France, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Italy or Australia.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 horas atrás, OlympicsFan disse:

I agree, Brazil has much better medal chances in mens long jump and mens/womens pole vault. In mens race walking there is no medal chance and on the womens side maybe a very small chance, but i think medals on the womens side will go to China, Czech Republich, Italy or Russia. On the mens side medals should go to China, Japan, France, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Italy or Australia.

Yes, I keep forgetting Russia isn't participating in these things. Frankly I don't know what to expect from their team in Rio...

2 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

I don't know... I think there's a good chance of us winning a total of 0 medals, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got a medal in the women's race walking. Maybe we get a medal with Murer but competition is tougher than ever, and her Olympic history is "disastrous" to say the least. Thiago Braz has good marks, but still needs to win a medal in a big competition. Other possibilty is the men's Marathon, not that we are favourite in any way. All in all I'm predicting zero medals in Athletics.