website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, just to be clear, we are all seeing it correct, right? In the rare case Brazil manages to sneak in 30th, they do actually get an extra ticket (so two total), correct? I'm all the time wondering if we're not seeing this wrong.

Technically yes...

But, there is always a but. For one thing, it is certainly weird how some of the borderline nations simply choose to skip events. Are they ignorant or what? Other thing, it is bizarre how simply entering multiple athletes, or sending them to World Cups, can give you so, so much more points irregardless of the skier's level of competitiveness. Why didn't Brazil spam points like Thailand or Serbia?

So, there is always a possibility that FIS is not really sure about it themselves... And in that case, nobody can tell what happens. There are manyer examples of IFs interpretating their own rules in curious ways...

#banbestmen

Even the trucks have to be covered by the Russians :lol: Photos courtesy of course by @brunamoura

CoCQLDW.png

v8GMT07.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Imagine this producing a boy, who then ends up in a relationship with the daughter of Bjoerndalen and Domracheva and they have a child together. Mutant alert :yikes: 

Would be like a lab experiment with all the crazy substances influencing their genetic material. I always hope that people like that at least have the decency not to have children.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, just to be clear, we are all seeing it correct, right? In the rare case Brazil manages to sneak in 30th, they do actually get an extra ticket (so two total), correct? I'm all the time wondering if we're not seeing this wrong.

After first reading the qualification procedure, I would agree. I think the main indicator for your interpretation to be true is the word "remaining" in section D.3 of the qualification pathway.

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Technically yes...

But, there is always a but. For one thing, it is certainly weird how some of the borderline nations simply choose to skip events. Are they ignorant or what? Other thing, it is bizarre how simply entering multiple athletes, or sending them to World Cups, can give you so, so much more points irregardless of the skier's level of competitiveness.

So, there is always a possibility that FIS is not really sure about it themselves... And in that case, nobody can tell what happens. There are manyer examples of IFs interpretating their own rules in curious ways...

Definitely true. Then again, not sure if that is more bizarre then for example someone who wins a FIS race in Lebanon against four women who are 10 minutes behind on 5km getting easy 140 points and so a 'better' result than athletes who compete in good races in Norway and finish halfway up the field.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Imagine this producing a boy, who then ends up in a relationship with the daughter of Bjoerndalen and Domracheva and they have a child together. Mutant alert :yikes: 

I'm sure that in some dictator-like country there would be major potential in creating a breeding program like thing with athletes instead of horses. :p

1 minute ago, LowerSaxony said:

After first reading the qualification procedure, I would agree. I think the main indicator for your interpretation to be true is the word "remaining" in section D.3 of the qualification pathway.

When it comes to the reallocation, yes. When it comes to the top-30, I read it as in that case they'd get one ticket via D.1 (done by Jaque Mourao at the world championships) and one ticket via D.2 (which would be done by a 30th place in the ranking). Not like D.2 only says the total they'd get, but it's one ticket from D.1 and one from D.2 (if all works out, of course).

Qskoig2.png

1 minute ago, Agger said:

I'm sure that in some dictator-like country there would be major potential in creating a breeding program like thing with athletes instead of horses. :p

Hence North Korea's dominance in all sports :p 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Definitely true. Then again, not sure if that is more bizarre then for example someone who wins a FIS race in Lebanon against four women who are 10 minutes behind on 5km getting easy 140 points and so a 'better' result than athletes who compete in good races in Norway and finish halfway up the field.

FIS can be tricked so easily. You just need the same five skiers contesting interval races again and again, while trying to keep time differences between themselves to a minimum.

Eventually their FIS points could come as close to 0.00 as you'd like...

#banbestmen

19 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

Good to know, that would mean, we could have more exciting races in the foreseeable future. My statement wasn't directed against Johaug personally, it's just the hope for mass start races which are not decided after 3 minutes :) though I don't like her either since her doping ban, she's cleary the best - by far, no question about that, but that's exactly the problem I'm talking about ;)

How would her absence make races much more exciting? It would still be a complete dominance by Norway and Sweden (kind of like Ethiopia/Kenya in long distance running), unless of course someone like Fossesholm develops into another Johaug and completely dominates. Maybe one day we will see Norwegian/Swedish athletes changing nationality if they can’t make the team, at least it would mean that more countries can compete for medals. Swedish/Norwegian athletes are far better off than Kenyan/Ethiopian athletes + the nations that could buy them don’t care about winter sports. Maybe Qatar will host Winter Olympics one day and then they will buy a bunch of Norwegian/Swedish athletes ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.