website statistics

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

Well, we've seen this in swimming and some of these 2008-2009 WR have been broken since despite the odds. WA still recognizes the DDR WR so there's no way they will suddenly take away Warholm or McLaughlin's WRs for instance. And I bet the shoe companies will come up with a solution to by-pass the new regs.

Scratching the 'shoe records' but leaving the East German, Soviet etc records would be ridiculous anyway. Which makes it not unlikely WA would do so, but still I doubt it :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Scratching the 'shoe records' but leaving the East German, Soviet etc records would be ridiculous anyway. Which makes it not unlikely WA would do so, but still I doubt it :p 

Soviets and East Germans were never breaking 30 year old WRs by astronomical margins.

#banbestmen

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Soviets and East Germans were never breaking 30 year old WRs by astronomical margins.

But they were doing it by actual cheating. Shoes might be controversial, but it's not the same as pumping someone up on steroids.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

But they were doing it by actual cheating. Shoes might be controversial, but it's not the same as pumping someone up on steroids.

Carl Lewis admitted to using doping and WA won't do anything about it so those DDR records will stand or else WA would also have to address American athletes. This can of worms stays closed.

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

:GDR records are a bugbear of mine because it was proven in a court of law that they WERE doping - we know who doped, what they took, when they took it etc etc.  All the evidence needed to remove them.  The other cases are supposition & speculation, so unfortunately they should stand, but you will never ever get more proof than with the DDR ones.  

And it’s not just theoretical harm either - all the European U-20 & U-23 athletes are still being penalised because all those old DDR records still stand at that level.