website statistics

Wrestling Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

Luisa Niemesch qualified! :clap:

She is still pretty young (born in 1995) and a big talent (she won 2 silver medals at junior world championships), so she might surprise in Rio. I really like our wrestling team so far, but Schellin and especially Hassler have to qualify, otherwise it would be a big shock.

I think that Schell (womens -75 kg), Dülger (mens freestyle -65 kg), Harth (mens freestyle -74 kg), Kaufmehl (mens freestyle -86 kg) and Cudinovic (mens freestyle -97 kg) can still qualify, but it would be a miracle if one of them would qualify here.

Really disappointing that Schellin, Eisele, Öhler and Azizsir still didnt qualify, only one chance left for them.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

24 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Luisa Niemesch qualified! :clap:

She is still pretty young (born in 1995) and a big talent (she won 2 silver medals at junior world championships), so she might surprise in Rio. I really like our wrestling team so far, but Schellin and especially Hassler have to qualify, otherwise it would be a big shock.

I think that Schell (womens ), Dülger (mens freestyle -65 kg), Harth (mens freestyle -74 kg), Kaufmehl (mens freestyle -86 kg) and Cudinovic (mens freestyle -97 kg) can still qualify, but it would be a miracle if one of them would qualify here.

Really disappointing that Schellin, Eisele, Öhler and Azizsir still didnt qualify, only one chance left for them.

and :FRA ?

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

and :FRA ?

What about :FRA?

I cant tell you anything about your chances, you should ask MHSN, he is a true expert.

You can find the results and draws here:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/1st-og-world-qualifying-tournament

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

my preview about freestyle draw

looks like a balanced draw, I see Andreyev (BLR) and Yatsenko (UKR) as favorite in top half , there are other good wrestlers in top half like Metreveli or Safarov, but I think these 2 will determine the qualified wrestler in top half, hard to pick one of them.

we have a very important first round match between Tomar of India and Akgul of Turkey the winner most probably will wrestle Hasanzada of AZE for the Olympic quota in semifinal, beside these 3 guys we have some other good/average wrestlers Mejias of VEN and Chirtoaca (MDA).

I expect Belarus, Turkey and Ukraine to qualify.

This is for sure the toughest weight in freestyle, so many notable wrestlers are still without quota. top half is easier as usual, we have former world champion Safaryan, grandpa Kantoyev, Novachkov and Iakobishvili. if I'm not wrong Kantoyev won a world medal 16 years ago for Russia. he is the only "fresh" wrestler among the favorites in top half, Iakobishvili was so close to qualify in Serbia. still I consider Safaryan and Novachkov as favorites here, it's hard to pick one of them.

in bottom half the most notable name is Adam Batirov, we also have Gor of Turkey who won world medal at 70kg, the American Molinaro was also great in their national trials , Sava of Moldova is a 2014 World medalist, we also have Garcia (CAN) and Bucur (ROU) and Maeda (JPN) , that guy Habat of SLO is also not that bad, after all he grew up in USA.

I expect Armenia, Bahrain and Bulgaria to qualify, (I hope I'm wrong about Bahrain, not a fan of mercenaries)

having only 9 wrestlers in top half automatically makes it easier, I see Nedealco of MDA as the top favorite here , interesting Belarus once again didn't enter Ali Shabanov,i saw this guy Chytadze before and didn't impress. I think the quota is between MDA, Armenia and that Chinese guy Zhang. we also have Innokentev here, he used to be very dangerous when he was younger.

we have two clear favorites here, Demirtas and of course Kurbanov. Demirtas lost by an accident in Serbia last week but cutting weight once again makes Kurbanov the favorite against him. maybe only the Ukrainian guy can make problems for them.

I expect Uzbekistan, Moldova and Turkey to qualify

I see 3 favorites in top half, Ianulov, Ceballos and Sagaliuk, the Ukrainian guy is new to me , he is a replacement for Aldatov. this Venezuelan guy Ceballos is good , he beat World medalists before but still I give more chance to Ianulov.

this guy Cox really impressed in US trials, he can be the next Burroughs ! he is my favorite in bottom half, but he has some serious opponents, first round Armenia, Zvirbulis, Stefan, Kim, Ismanov and few more.

I expect USA, Moldova and Ukraine to qualify.

We have a surprising new name here ! actually not a name new, a former World Champion Georgi Ketoyev ,now wrestling for Armenia !!! he was a great wrestler 5-6 years ago, not sure about his current shape. I consider him as the clear favorite here, beside him we have Ceban and Hushtyn here plus that guy Nurov from Macedonia, he is also from Russia and can make surprise here.

bottom half is easier this time, the only Mongolian wrestler tomorrow will be there, so far they hosted the tournament for nothing ! Greco doesn't exist in Mongolia, both of their girls lost today and Khuderbulga is their last wrestler (they already qualified other 5), I think they will do everything to make sure this guy will make it. he is also a good wrestler. beside him I can't see any big name there, maybe Korea or Uzbekistan or even Japan can surprise him. this is mostly battle of Asians in bottom half.

I expect Armenia, Mongolia and Macedonia :d to qualify !

I think Deng of China is the favorite in top half, the Korean guy Nam and Baran of Poland are right behind him. we also have a former twice bronze medalist from Greece here but this guy to be honest is too weak. he was just lucky to win world medals before. still you can't underestimate him. and in an interesting note, Antoine Jaoude of Brazil is here !!! despite qualifying for Brazil in Greco-Roman ! I guess since they have a naturalized Armenian wrestler in 130 Greco, they told this guy to try his chance in freestyle :d

bottom half will be between Ligeti, Gagloev and Lazarev. two of them will wrestle in very first round. beside we have some other good wrestlers from Romania and Bulgaria but I see Ligeti as the favorite here. Lazarev after him.

I expect Hungary, China and Kyrgyzstan to qualify.