website statistics

Men's Flag Football IFAF World Championship 2024

15 minutes ago, rybak said:

Is it another sport which will be seen only once at Olympics? :mumble:

It'll probably return when the United States hosts the next Olympics. Maybe Canada if IFAF lobbies hard enough

The advantage it has over baseball and cricket is the field size is a lot smaller and can be hosted in more multipurpose venues (less cost to host).

The downside over baseball/cricket is that it doesn't attract many "smaller nations." Only Israel and Panama compete at a high level.

It's interesting to see European reactions to flag football. An unknown sport for them, as cricket and curling are for us in Latin America.

Flag football (tochito) has been played by boys in Mexican streets for more than 60 years. Playing tackle football on the pavement may be hazardous for your health, and the equipment is expensive. This was the poor kids' answer. 

My daughter wanted to play rugby, but there weren't enough options to do it in Mexico. She ended up playing mixed flag-football.  

48 minutes ago, PanchoB said:

It's interesting to see European reactions to flag football. An unknown sport for them, as cricket and curling are for us in Latin America.

Are you aware Austria is a three-time world champion on the men's side, France won it once and Denmark lost 4 finals?

On the women's side, France and Sweden also won the WC before, although yes, in recent years the US has been dominant in both genders.

18 hours ago, vovanA said:

I just watched some highlights... so this is like rugby sevens but you can throw forward, you can't touch your opponent and the field is ridiculously small?

Just watched some as well and oh wow, that field is hilariously tiny :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It'll probably return when the United States hosts the next Olympics. Maybe Canada if IFAF lobbies hard enough

The advantage it has over baseball and cricket is the field size is a lot smaller and can be hosted in more multipurpose venues (less cost to host).

The downside over baseball/cricket is that it doesn't attract many "smaller nations." Only Israel and Panama compete at a high level.

Panama sounds oddly interesting, whereas I'd bet some money that Israel is basically just competing with Americans who happen to have easily gained Israeli nationality (and might not even really have any significant connection to it)?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, PanchoB said:

as cricket and curling are for us in Latin America

Those are almost (ok, not entirely, but among the general public...yeah) as unknown in this corner of Europe mate :p 

Edited by heywoodu

11 hours ago, Quasit said:

Are you aware Austria is a three-time world champion on the men's side, France won it once and Denmark lost 4 finals?

On the women's side, France and Sweden also won the WC before, although yes, in recent years the US has been dominant in both genders.

Doesn't make it less unknown by the general public. I'g guess that 99.9999% of the french population wouldn't know that we had been world champion in flag football.

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Panama sounds oddly interesting, whereas I'd bet some money that Israel is basically just competing with Americans who happen to have easily gained Israeli nationality (and might not even really have any significant connection to it)?

Panama is also likely influenced by the United States, thanks to the large military base by the canal. In fact, most of the top nations have US military bases in their borders where military personnel brought exposure to American Football.

22 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

Doesn't make it less unknown by the general public. I'g guess that 99.9999% of the french population wouldn't know that we had been world champion in flag football.

I'd honestly be surprised if more than 0,0001% of the French population know about the existence of this version of American football :p 

Edit: wait, that's about 68 people. Alright, that'd be exaggerated, I do think more than 68 people are aware of it :p 

Edited by heywoodu