website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

35 minutes ago, Erigert said:

Following this logic, an existing sport should be worried to be removed from the Olympics in case a single country wins all the events in that sport.

And I dont know why you only mention diving and TT, when in this last olympics there have been other sports totally dominated from a single country:

-Archery (South Korea)

-Basketball (USA)

-Field Hockey (Netherlands)

Should we remove these sports aswell or considering China is not dominating them everything is OK?

It is from "long time ago" but the Polo was removed of the olympics games FOREVER after Argentina defeat  every teams in that olympic games and in the finall 11 to 0 with the british.

I'm going to skip events I don't know much about. I'm concentrating on what brings an audience, global participation (across the board) and infrastructure. (Borrowed @intoronto's template here. 

Athletics*:  cross-country racing

Artistic Swimming: I think this should be removed just because of the judging. Wow, the same teams win the same medals at every event. Inspiring. But, I get that it's a real sport and people like it. Mixed duet instead of female duet, and mandatory 2 men per team. 

Boxing: Gone.

3x3 basketball: Increase to 12 teams per gender, 2 groups of 6, top 4 from each go to quarters. 

Canoeing Sprint: Add 500m to mens and womens C1. 

Canoeing slalom: Cross seemed like it was going to be fun, but I'm not sure. I'll give it another shot. 

Cycling: Add a second event for Mountain biking with no new quotas. In Track, 1km time trial. 

Equestrian: Gone.

Golf: Controversial, but GONE. It's not important to the big names, and the infrastructure is non-sustainable. Also, I find golf boring. 

MP: Kind of like the idea, now that equestrian is gone. Obstacle course will be good TV, probably. 

Rowing: I'm good. 

Rugby sevens: No changes

Skateboarding: Watched more of it in Paris than any time in my life, I get it now. But I don't think 11 year olds should be in the Olympics. There should be a minimum age for every discipline. 

Soccer: Even number of teams for both genders. 

Surfing: Gone. It's just impractical, and I don't like sports that depend so heavily on random mother nature. Also, not great for TV. 

Swimming: Eliminate semis for 200 individuals. 

Table Tennis: Don't care, personal opinion, GONE. 

Taekwondo: Fine.

Tennis: Fine, but extend the calendar so athletes aren't playing 2-3 matches per day. There two weeks, use the two weeks. 

Triathlon: Fine. 

Volleyball: Fine.

Wrestling: Maybe remove Greco-Roman wrestling

Elective sports from Paris/LA

Baseball/Softball: Continue to have it in countries that can support it. I think it's good, but no need for a country like France to build stadiums they'll never use again. 

Breaking: No thanks. But gold for Canada!

Cricket: Yes, it includes otherwise neglected South Asian countries. 

Flag Football: Gone. Interested to see it, somewhat.

Lacrosse: Yes.

Squash: Sure. Includes otherwise neglected countries. Too many racket sports, but I'd take this over Table Tennis. Sorry, lived in East Asia for many years, still think it's not an Olympic sport. Come at me bro! 

Athletics* = New field team event. Countries have competitors in all 8 field events, add up placements like team figure skating. Only three attempts in each event, or something like that. All in a few hours. DO IT. 

Edited by orangeman

9 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

So what you're saying is that there is a bias for the commies. 

Are we back in the 70's or what?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

women's decathlon

Much as I'd be in favour of this, this can (or, should) only be possible if heptathlon has been replaced with decathlon in international competition for at least 1-2 full Olympic cycles. Since it's such a massively different event (and not just a shorter or longer version of the same thing), extra adaptation time would be needed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Well also add that everyone watches basketball, it's one of the most popular sports in the Olympics, you see the popularity that catelyn clark gathering.  And that's before she even joined the olympic team.   In 2028 she will bring huge rating.   While no one gives 2 shits about some commies jumping into water and the only reason this joke of a sport staying while breaking is leaving is that the IOC don't want to piss off their real leaders.  The ccp.   Same reason they allowed the swimmers to dope as much as they want without repercussions 

Genuine question, since you normally seem to be posting along quite normally in regular sports threads: are you perhaps on something? I mean, almost sounding like seeing the US as a victim in the world of sports, that's.....special, to say it mildly.

As I think almost every non-American would also like to know: Catelyn who, by the way?

3 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

I would add a mixed hammer throw event to the athletics programme. That would be fun!

And a mixed field hockey event besides the current two tournaments :p