website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

3 hours ago, MatiReimundo said:

Agree. And its not that hard to do it in terms of the qualification process. 3 places for Europe, 2 North America, 2 South America, 2 Asia, 2 Africa and 1 Oceania. Its still pretty equal and balanced.

Just like women. Or let the women have 16 teams. Those who actually cares about the olympics and especially has too few spots for Europe.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

For track cycling, I would add the 1km time trial and the individual pursuit.

Like you chose not to rant against me about the 'football' thing, I'll choose not to rant against you about the other cycling points :p But this one: yeah, definitely. At the very least the individual pursuit, that should absolutely never have been eliminated.

The 1k is great as well, because it's without a doubt the track cycling event where athletes go the deepest, the only event where a majority of participants literally can't stand on their own legs after the finish, but the pursuit is better I think in terms of competition.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But obviously the principle is the same, a decision like that should not simply be because 'country A gets too many medals' if in a sport with 2 medals another country is just as dominant.

Yes, it should, it's not that there are too many medals, it's that there is no competition, What was the closest result in diving? what about Table Tennis? yea i know there was a fluke with the swede, but the other guy won easily, and their teams and mixed teams won easily as well, it's not about the amount of medals, it's the lack of competition

5 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Yes, it should, it's not that there are too many medals, it's that there is no competition, What was the closest result in diving? what about Table Tennis? yea i know there was a fluke with the swede, but the other guy won easily, and their teams and mixed teams won easily as well, it's not about the amount of medals, it's the lack of competition

A whopping 2.07 points on a total of well over 400.

No more women's basketball then, I fear, considering even with a fluke in the final the dominant team won with an average margin of well in the double digits.

Not defending diving or table tennis here, by the way, just saying it's certainly not less competitive than Olympic basketball. Talking about not competitive: we can certainly let go of the women's 4x400m :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

35 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Two medals in Basketball (and even then, the women won by one point, and the men almost lost to Serbia). versus 8 in diving and 5 in table tennis that are always gonna go to China, there is no math here.

It's not about 'math' it's about predictability - the men's basketball is every bit as uncompetitive as the synchro diving. Your issue seems not to be with predictable medals but predictable Chinese medals - predictable US ones are A-ok with you.

Screw that, it's just jingoism.

17 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Well as for diving, Rousseau, the World Champion last year, he’s from Australia. Not to mention that this is the first time in Olympic HISTORY that China has swept the golds. :d

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

A whopping 2.07 points on a total of well over 400.

No more women's basketball then, I fear, considering even with a fluke in the final the dominant team won with an average margin of well in the double digits.

Not defending diving or table tennis here, by the way, just saying it's certainly not less competitive than Olympic basketball. Talking about not competitive: we can certainly let go of the women's 4x400m :d 

i'm not talking about specific events, but a sport as a whole, and yes there was one (1!!!) event where it was close in diving, what about the other 7? what about the others since 2000? they had 46 golds out of 56 (over 80%!!!) wanna check how many of those were won in under 10 points?

10 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's not about 'math' it's about predictability - the men's basketball is every bit as uncompetitive as the synchro diving. Your issue seems not to be with predictable medals but predictable Chinese medals - predictable US ones are A-ok with you.

Screw that, it's just jingoism.

they literally almost lost to Serbia! last time they lost to France, the world caught up to the American's, the best players are in the NBA are now from Greece, Serbia and Slovenia, claiming that the men's basketball is just ignorance 

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well as for diving, Rousseau, the World Champion last year, he’s from Australia. Not to mention that this is the first time in Olympic HISTORY that China has swept the golds. :d

yea i'm aware that they lose one by fluke usually, but how many do they win by more then 20? they also lost a fluke mixed table tennis in tokyo, it's an outlier

7 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

yea i'm aware that they lose one by fluke usually, but how many do they win by more then 20? they also lost a fluke mixed table tennis in tokyo, it's an outlier

Can’t be a fluke if it happens every single Olympics.