website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

34 minutes ago, hckošice said:

This one is mainly on IOC and their policy of having everything huge, in exceptional and glittering venues. Such crap.

Canoe Slalom by nature is a sport you need literally some 200 meters of wild water you can find in every river in this planet. The olympic race in Atlanta (Lake Ocoee was still on river and it was/still is considered as the best canoe slalom olympic races ever held. Sydney in 2000 however stunned the world with a super modern artificial Penrith wild water venue and since then it went all wrong, IOC asked hosts to build similar expensive artificial venues beginning in Athens 2004.

If IOC stayed smart and so-green-ecologically thinking institution like they love to be presented, then they would have kept this sport where it belong on rivers, where you do not need anything expensive just a couple of gates and ropes for tying

Wow, I had no idea about this. Just looked it up, watched a super young Michal Martikan in 1996 and damn that course looks amazing!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

They do that every four years apparently and it always gets shot down, as it should :p 

Keep all that stuff and add whatever in the sport's own world championships, fine, but stop exaggerating in the Olympics..

You’re right, they do, but I have a hunch it might be approved this time, given that LA has this grand plan for swimming, what with a 30,000 + seat venue, and being held in the second week of the Games, and it would only mean 1 extra race per night.  More races = more ticket revenue.

A slightly radical idea I heard a few years ago is to eliminate the 800 frees. Like when women’s 1500 free was added, they should have dropped the 800 free, rather than add a men’s 800.

15 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

You’re right, they do, but I have a hunch it might be approved this time, given that LA has this grand plan for swimming, what with a 30,000 + seat venue, and being held in the second week of the Games, and it would only mean 1 extra race per night.  More races = more ticket revenue.

A slightly radical idea I heard a few years ago is to eliminate the 800 frees. Like when women’s 1500 free was added, they should have dropped the 800 free, rather than add a men’s 800.

I do think they will not add it, but would not be super surprised. Swimming makes for super easy 'mega stars': there's always gonna be someone with several gold medals and for the masses someone with several golds on their neck are tragically easy to see as a bigger star than someone with 1 gold medal (in a sport in which one can only win 1). Mega stars bring people, and thus money.

Still think the chance is bigger of IOC not accepting it though.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

They do that every four years apparently and it always gets shot down, as it should :p 

Keep all that stuff and add whatever in the sport's own world championships, fine, but stop exaggerating in the Olympics..

For some reason, they didn't for Paris :question:

https://swimswam.com/fina-reportedly-not-proposing-adding-stroke-50s-for-paris-2024/

10 hours ago, vovanA said:

What do you think about stage road cycling race at the Olympics? Is it too radical? 

It would have been nice, but few problems, first of all stages race will require a team work thus a team which is something that will require more quotas, and the most important aspect is that the TDF is so close to the Olympics if some riders consider their participation currently, most of them would have to drop one of them in a case of stages race, and I’m pretty sure most of them will not drop the TDF

41 minutes ago, Dnl said:

It would have been nice, but few problems, first of all stages race will require a team work thus a team which is something that will require more quotas, and the most important aspect is that the TDF is so close to the Olympics if some riders consider their participation currently, most of them would have to drop one of them in a case of stages race, and I’m pretty sure most of them will not drop the TDF

the cons are obvious. but we still have some riders who drop because of TdF. and don't forget women who don't clash with TdFF and could have 3-stage Olympic race for instance

Bring back the 2013 borders

"Sportswriter" Jonathan Liew's contribution to the thread: let's cut sailing, archery, surfing, rowing, equestrian, golf, 3x3 basketball, men's football, volleyball and not-freestyle-swimming.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/12/paris-olympic-games-la-2028-sports-sailing-golf