website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How did your country perform at Paris Olympics 2024?

:EGY 

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

2. What were the suprises and heartbreaks?

Mohamed El-Sayed (Fencing Epee Bronze medalist) and Mohamed Gabr who lost the bronze in GR 97 kg wrestling ... disappointed with Sief Eissa (seeded 3rd) in Taekwondo -80 kg and lost in round 16

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

No.

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future?  Current / Upcoming sports

Modern Pentathlon - Squash - Weightlifting

to less extent : Fencing - Wrestling

5. Who could be some the potential star for your country in LA?

the whole Modern pentathlon Team (men and women) ..the aim is to have the full quota (2 each), some names are:

Men: Ahmed Elgendy - Mohamed Elgendy - Moataz Mohamed- Moustafa Abo Alam - Mohamed Sherif 

Women: Malak Ismail - Salma Abdelmaksod - Farida Khalil - Amira Kandel

Same for squash:

Men: Moustafa Asal (will be 27 in 2028) - Mohamed Zakaria (will be 20 yrs in 2028) ..I have discarded other well known names because of age but some of them could be still there in top form

Women: Nour Elsherbiny (32 in 2028) - Nouran Gohar ( 30 in 2028) - Hania Elhammami (27 in 2028) - Amina Orfy (21 in 2028)

some quick notes why the Egyptians are disappointed with the performance:

- Sports Minister said we will get 10 medals

- Nada Hafez - Fencing Sabre competed while pregnant (7 months) and no one knows from the Egyptian Fencing federation nor the ministry (you know why? federation didn't see her for months and doesn't care) ..by the way she won in round of 32 against USA and achieved the best female place in Egyptian fencing history

- a player has been accused with sexual assault and has been released later as footage doesn't show (serious conduct)

- Hammer player Moustafa El- Gamal has no coach since Nov 2023 and when he complained after the game the president of athletic federation said he is a low class anyway! ..by the way he is the African record holder and the only Egyptian won gold medal in African athletic championship 2024

- Omar Assar - Table tennis said the federation has claimed a fund for a training camp with 100 K (Dollars or Euro don't know) and the paper said he was there but actually he was at home and no one knows where are the money ..actually every one know.

there are 6-7 more points but I feel sick continue ...other than that everything perfect and Ministry of Sport is celebration the great success !!!!!!

5 minutes ago, El Analyzer said:

Same for squash:

Men: Moustafa Asal (will be 27 in 2028) - Mohamed Zakaria (will be 20 yrs in 2028) ..I have discarded other well known names because of age but some of them could be still there in top form

Hope not :rolleyes::sick:

For :ISR

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10: 

8/10, on one side, it was our most successful Olympics with seven medals, but out of the none medalist very few do well, and all of these I thought wi get gold get silver 

The main surprise was Tom Reuveny who won the gold in iqfoil, he was expected to be at about 6-8 place like he did in moat big competitions and he took home the gold even beating the Dutch favorite 

The biggest heartbreak was how our sport Channel went to athletes after thier loss without letting them get a few moments to rest and getting some hard to watch interviews (with avishag Samberg or Luna champaign salpeter) 

3. Was your country's goal achieved? 

Yes and no, the medals goal was achieved by far with 7 to 5 who were expected, but only 14 finals for the 18 who were expected (in events without a final, top 12 is final for this count ) 

4.Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? Current / Upcoming sports

More judo, sailing and gymnastics, also archery is doing great things for now, but money will be wierd now as a result of the situation 

We have a great new generation of rhythmic gymnasts along side some good male artistic gymnasts, the women judo team will stay about the same and will be stars and the windsurfing will continue to be amazing, overall I expect la to be the best Olympic we will ever have with a team of 120 athletes and around the same amount of medals as this time 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Hope not :rolleyes::sick:

Now I'm curious what's up with him :p 

Edit: his Wiki gives some suggestions already...doesn't sound great indeed.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

NZ :NZL

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

8/10 - Although not perfect as with every country in the Olympics, I think it's fair to say 10 gold medals was an overachievement. 20 medals in total matches Tokyo 2021.

Probably the biggest surprise was Finn Butcher winning gold in the kayak cross. 

Heartbreak was probably Aimee Fisher coming 4th in the K1 500, she had some major issues and demons with the national body for the past 8 years. I really do hope she sticks with it for another 4 years she is only 28. But looking at the pre race interviews between Carrington and her, she seemed to have psyched herself out as this was meant to be the showdown of the century between our 2 female paddlers. But while one did the job (Carrington) the other absolutely flopped in the end, during the worst possible time, being the final.

3. Was your country's goal achieved?

Our NOC had a target of 13-18 medals, ended up with 20 medals. So yes we exceeded expectations, what is interesting is that quite a few of the athletes or teams who were predicted to medal didn't end up doing so and those that were not predicted to win medals ended up winning medals instead. I guess that's the case with quite a few countries.

4.Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? Current / Upcoming sports

The usual suspects Track Cycling, Rowing, Canoe/Kayak - Sprint, Sailing. But I do think Athletics could get a big boost and the same with Sailing. Sailing in particular had a poor Olympics in Tokyo, so could get more money this time round.

Julian David could be a huge star by LA in the speed climbing event. He's got massive potential as was witnessed in Paris. There's a new sport on the horizon in Beach Rowingand this is where someone who could very well be a star is a guy called Matt Dunham. Our female track cyclists (average age of 22) could be set to dominate the boards at LA, particularly in the sprint events. They've already overachieved but could very well be even better in 4 years. 

Edited by Joshi

On 8/12/2024 at 12:16 AM, Josh said:

Women’s basketball team is always terrible at the Olympics, at this point I’m used to it. 

Who’s Illyah Kahrun? :p

I believe he was a character in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

:GBR

Rating: 8.5/10

The team maintained the London levels of success in terms of medals and range of sports in which they were won.

2012 - 65 in 17 sports

2016 - 67 in 19

2020 - 64 in 18

2024 - 65 in 18

To keep performing at this level is very satisfying but was offset by a fall in the number of gold medals won, although in fairness in many cases there were tiny margins between gold and silver. Still first is first and second is second.

Surprises and heartaches:

The biggest surprise was the performance of the women's gymnastics team who finished fourth. Although they had medalled at the last two WC they had been decimated by injuries prior to the Games and yet somehow managed to get within 2/100ths of a medal.

The heartaches were seeing two distinguished Olympians in Jade Jones (taekwondo) and Max Whitlock (gymnastics) go home without medals in their final Games. Issues beyond the power of the athletes such as the wind or lack of it in Marseilles and tyre punctures in the men's time trial also cost medals that would otherwise have been won.

Goals achieved:

UK Sports' target of 50-70 medals was achieved but not their aim of a top five finish due to the fall off in golds. They can make themselves feel better by looking at the American version of the medal table which has them in third place on total medals won. :d

Future investment:

Wealthy sports like cricket, football, golf, rugby and tennis are self-funding. For the others it will be a matter of reviewing their performances and adjusting funding accordingly. They'll also have to take into account the changes to the programme with baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, lacrosse and squash coming in.

Of the 2024 sports my guess is that sport climbing will do particularly well while judo may be one of the sports that sees a reduction in funding.

Stars of 2028:

Who knows at this stage! Four years is a long time in sport. I'm sure Keely Hodgkinson (athletics) will be a poster girl for GB while guys like Tom Pidcock (cycling) and Alex Yee (triathlon) will feature. If some of the big names in English cricket are there they'll also feature prominently.

:USA

9/10

Surprises and Heartbreak: 

Many surprises in track, men's 1500 with Hocker, 400 with Hall, and women's 100m hurdles with Russell come to mind. The one rowing gold was probably the only thing I didn't have on my radar. Swimming the surprise was Torri Huske's 100m butterfly, although that was a surprise against Walsh getting the win. Locking gold at the women's foil semis was a nice surprise watching it live. Outside of golds the women's rugby team probably got the most surprising medal, maybe US men's gymnastics bronze up there too. 

Lots of heartbreaks, 44 silvers will get you that. Jordan Chiles losing the floor bronze is still a fresh wound. Men's 200m and 4x100m were both tough to see. Swimming's heartbreak has to be Regan Smith's 3 individual silvers. Some disappointment in BMX and Skateboarding, no golds in either is not what's expected but at least there were medals. Beach volleyball not going anywhere was rough. US women's water polo not defending their gold and not medaling is the biggest team heartbreak.

Gotta highlight climbing, Brooke Raboutou's silver was the only positive of the team. Sure Sam Watson has a WR and bronze, but he would have gotten into the finals without a slip. Colin Duffy with 4th and Natalia Grossman not making it to finals are both massive heartbreaks for what on paper should have been the strongest boulder/lead team after Japan and Austria. Interestingly, Japan ended up having identical results as the US, a 4th and a 2nd.

Goals Achieved

Nothing officially is set by the USOC in terms of results, but we all know what the expectation is: 1st place in the medal table. In that regard, it's a tight but in the end proper success backed up by the highest total medal count of a non-hosted games. There's strong foundations going into LA to have a blockbuster Olympics where I think the goal will be an ambitious 50 golds and 150 medals. 

Future Investment

You're going to see lots of Lacrosee, Flag Football, and Softball money in the US in the next 4 years. Cricket will also get a huge boost. I don't think there will be much changes in the basic US team formula: focus on the big 3 (athletics, swimming, women's gymnastics) with hope the diversity and strength of the country's sport infrastructure can produce stars in a plethora of individual events and rank in most team events. 

2028 Stars:

Ledecky, Richardson, and Lyles should still be competing for the home games and expecting to achieve more than they did in Paris. The new generation of swimmers will need to form in the next 4 years but Torri Huske and Gretchen Walsh will lead that pack to SOFI. Too many stars in track and field that will still be at the height of their game in LA. 

If the NFL allows their players to compete in flag football there will be a new crop of athletes that rival the biggest basketball stars.