website statistics

Team GB Full delegation announced Road to Paris 2024

11 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I do not think Bucknerisation will work in athletics because the variation and tactical elements are so much more important in races over 400m - a lot will depnds on how Athletics go here, but it is very clear that the standards were set badly - there is a strong suggestion going around that almost everyone, regardless of form, who got the main Q mark or a UKA Q mark was picked, because if form had been factored in, the team would have been slashed even worse to the point of embarrassment, with one or two in the know suggesting there may need to be a post mortem on how it panned out with several people left behind they'd rather have taken (notably the hammer boys and Anna Purchase, Amy Hunt in the individual 200), and a few going they'd rather have left behind (who we won't name because it is unfair, they met the standard asked).

Where have those in the know hinted at unhappiness at who was and wasn’t taken in the Athletics sqaud? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Olympicsnell said:

Boom. 2 medals gone in the blink of an eye. 

Id just got over achibald, interesting that the video was leaked right before olympic competition

I wonder if it will become public. The BBC has said they haven’t seen the video. 

5 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Boom. 2 medals gone in the blink of an eye. 

Id just got over achibald, interesting that the video was leaked right before olympic competition

Yeah I do find it interesting a 4 year old video has gone public the week that the Games open. 

Obviously that’s not to detract from what presumably is a serious incident given Dujardin’s own statement. 

Edited by Jon

23 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah I do find it interesting a 4 year old video has gone public the week that the Games open. 

Obviously that’s not to detract from what presumably is a serious incident given Dujardin’s own statement. 

The IOC is not particularly fond of equestrianism. We saw what happened in Modern Pentathlon. Dressage is notoriously rough on horses; the Germans and Dutch have both been criticised in the past for how the Horses are made to do what they do - there's a whole thing about training technique called Rollkur and the shape of the horses neck - GBR's recent ascendency in the sport was a very feel good story, but the reality is that elevation has probably involved some pretty harsh treatment - Dressage isn't realy possible any other way, frankly.

I supect the reason Charlotte has done a mea culpa here - and forgive the politicking - but she knows as well as everyone else that rough, even cruel, treatment of horses in Dressage is very, very common at the elite end. If she's been caught hurting a horse (which seems the most likely explanation for all this), possibly by videos from animal rights people, then as one of the generational riders of the era, it creates a genuinely existential crises for Olympic dressage. Pressure from the IOC to 'do a Modern pentathlon' would be immense.

Taking the fall in a personal sense may be about saving the sport, not punishing herself.

consider: https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/open-letter-to-the-fei-describes-abuse-in-dressage-as-a-wake-up-call-850538

Edited by mpjmcevoy