website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2024

6 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

When it comes to Italy, I'm superstitious. We are waiting for this afternoon's match :p

Massive win for :ITA. The Australians and South Africans with Italian passports are making a big difference

35 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Massive win for :ITA. The Australians and South Africans with Italian passports are making a big difference

Would love to see Italy move the Game on - they have the climate to support it! The more competitive teams in Europe, the better - Ireland have made the leap, it's been wobbly, but we've made progress, and scared both England and Pakistan at test level. Would love Scotland and Netherlands...and Italy...to move forward. Only way to break the 'Cartel' - and it probably eventually involves a URC style 'european' equivalent of the County championship.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Would love to see Italy move the Game on - they have the climate to support it! The more competitive teams in Europe, the better - Ireland have made the leap, it's been wobbly, but we've made progress, and scared both England and Pakistan at test level. Would love Scotland and Netherlands...and Italy...to move forward. Only way to break the 'Cartel' - and it probably eventually involves a URC style 'european' equivalent of the County 

That's some heavy magical thinking !

Edited by De_Gambassi

I'd like there to be a change in mentality in the ICC and for them to insist that anyone coming north to play England also play at least 1 of Ireland and Scotland whilst they are there. Only way the game will ever grow is more chances and exposure for smaller nations.

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

I'd like there to be a change in mentality in the ICC and for them to insist that anyone coming north to play England also play at least 1 of Ireland and Scotland whilst they are there. Only way the game will ever grow is more chances and exposure for smaller nations.

Hard Agree.

There are ways to utilise the Full Members and Senior associates to provide real incentives tot he rest of Europe without flooding the calendar - a tiered series where Netherlands and Scotland only join in at penultimate stage (sort of QF), and Ireland and England at the ulitimate stage (sort of SF). might not sound like much, and possibly only requires literally a game or two from England, Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland, but it would be epic for other European teams to at least theoretically have a one off crack at a 'big boy' - at worst, the recognised best four European teams have a quick warm up for the summer. at best, a smaller European nation gets a major publicity boost.

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

Am I right in thinking if Bangladesh come through tonight, Ireland qualify as next under rankings for 2026

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Would love to see Italy move the Game on - they have the climate to support it! The more competitive teams in Europe, the better - Ireland have made the leap, it's been wobbly, but we've made progress, and scared both England and Pakistan at test level. Would love Scotland and Netherlands...and Italy...to move forward. Only way to break the 'Cartel' - and it probably eventually involves a URC style 'european' equivalent of the County championship.

People here have a very different attitude to these faux national teams to me.

I loathe these so-called national teams full of recent migrants and expats who can somehow get their hands on a passport.

It's pretty common in places like Qatar and even a so called mature sporting country like the UK is well known for making enquiries of people who may have a UK born grandparent

17 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Am I right in thinking if Bangladesh come through tonight, Ireland qualify as next under rankings for 2026

It's the rankings at the end of June, i believe. So if Ireland were to stay where they are, then yes they would get the next spot that way if Bangladesh win tonight. 

I'm not sure what impact (if any) the results this week will have on the rankings though.

14 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

It's the rankings at the end of June, i believe. So if Ireland were to stay where they are, then yes they would get the next spot that way if Bangladesh win tonight. 

I'm not sure what impact (if any) the results this week will have on the rankings though.

Scotland and Ireland both lost against higher ranked opposition, so I suspect that's a wash. I don't think either team has any more T20s before 30 June. So as long as Bangla overturn Nepal, i think we're OK.

3 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

If ICC truly wants to expand the game, they can do the following 

1) Include nearby associate nations in minimum T20 tournaments in bilateral tours. Better if 1-2 games can be hosted by the associate nation. For example, let's say India is touring England for T20, ODI and Test series let there be a T20 with Scotland, Netherlands, England, Ireland, India. Similarly, any team touring the subcontinent can have Nepal, Malaysia and Hong Kong

2) Include atleast 1 player from a pool of top associate nations in teams of top franchise leagues like IPL, BBL, PSL. This player should play 30% of league games. For example, in IPL teams play 14 league games, so an associate nation player must play 4 games. This will improve exposure of associate players