website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Even an 8-team tournament doesn't fully showcase the unique blend of countries cricket can offer. In such a format, you'll have the usual suspects :USA :AUS :GBR :RSA and likely :NZL as competing nations in 2028.

It could be 

1- Host Nation :USA

2- Americas :GUY (Based on CPL 2023)

3- Europe :GBR

4- Africa :RSA

5- Asia :IND

6- East Pacific :AUS

World :PAK :NZL

The Europe and Africa zone can be combined for competitiveness and 1 country to qualify and 3 from World tournament 

18 minutes ago, NearPup said:

:CAN wins their first ever T20 World Cup match, winning against Ireland by 12 runs.

This is a great sign for USAs chances of getting into the super 8. If Ireland is the weakest team in the group you have to assume USA can beat them and 3 wins would be enough. 

Although who knows maybe Canada goes and beats India and Pakistan and wins that slot, this is group is already peak CONCACAC.

21 minutes ago, Book said:

This is a great sign for USAs chances of getting into the super 8. If Ireland is the weakest team in the group you have to assume USA can beat them and 3 wins would be enough. 

Although who knows maybe Canada goes and beats India and Pakistan and wins that slot, this is group is already peak CONCACAC.

I wouldn't assume that Ireland are *definitively* the weakest team. They look poor right now but they've been competitive for a while. It wouldn't be crazy if everyone bar India kept swapping wins in that group.

But the US are definitely in the box seat. Beat Ireland and they are through for sure.

Glad we were able to get the win. As I mentioned before, we were doing quite well against the United States until the collapse which could be due to the inexperience of the group.

I hope the national team can keep its funding until the 2028 Olympics.

On 6/7/2024 at 7:04 PM, Epic Failure said:

I mean, Pakistan has a history of being upset in world cups. They are the definition of a mercurial team - can be great one day and then awful the next.

Also, if they really wanted the game thrown to interest more US folks, they could have not run it as close as it was. Not to mention, they probably could have paid a better TV channel to increase the eyes on the tournament in the US.

I understand what you are saying, I just think it is the latest in the line of weird Pakistan performances. And a US team motivated to perform on home soil.

There isn't one USA player who would even be in the conversation when it comes to choosing a combined Pakistan USA team.

Pakistan has some history in, shall we say, not giving 100%. India-or maybe I should say some Indians-desperately wants the USA to take cricket seriously goodness knows why but they do)

Connecting the dots isn't ridiculous.

Cricket is now so Indian controlled through money. OK England and Australia can survive without Indian money (although their players don't mind the million dollars paydays that India provides) but the rest of the cricket world is so greatly dependent on India

22 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

It could be 

1- Host Nation :USA

2- Americas :GUY (Based on CPL 2023)

3- Europe :GBR

4- Africa :RSA

5- Asia :IND

6- East Pacific :AUS

World :PAK :NZL

The Europe and Africa zone can be combined for competitiveness and 1 country to qualify and 3 from World tournament 

If, as is likely, the Olympic cricket tournament is a 6 or 8 team affair then USA should not be a participant.

Fancy USA taking the place of Bangladesh or Sri Lanka for instance. Cricket is their national sport and their only chance for participating in an Olympic team sport.

I don't think Greece fielded a team in hockey in the Athens Olympics so there is a precedent.

I recall that there was a real argument about GB participating in basketball as they were several levels below the 2nd weakest team.

I doubt that Australia would throw a major tantrum if they were excluded from the Brisbane Games Handball tournament 

9 hours ago, rajiv said:

If, as is likely, the Olympic cricket tournament is a 6 or 8 team affair then USA should not be a participant.

Fancy USA taking the place of Bangladesh or Sri Lanka for instance. Cricket is their national sport and their only chance for participating in an Olympic team sport.

I don't think Greece fielded a team in hockey in the Athens Olympics so there is a precedent.

I recall that there was a real argument about GB participating in basketball as they were several levels below the 2nd weakest team.

I doubt that Australia would throw a major tantrum if they were excluded from the Brisbane Games Handball tournament 

The United States will very likely take part in cricket. I mean, your other post pretty much sums it up, cricket really wants the United States to take it seriously.

Besides, I'd argue the United States is relatively better in cricket than they are in handball.

13 hours ago, rajiv said:

There isn't one USA player who would even be in the conversation when it comes to choosing a combined Pakistan USA team.

Pakistan has some history in, shall we say, not giving 100%. India-or maybe I should say some Indians-desperately wants the USA to take cricket seriously goodness knows why but they do)

Connecting the dots isn't ridiculous.

Cricket is now so Indian controlled through money. OK England and Australia can survive without Indian money (although their players don't mind the million dollars paydays that India provides) but the rest of the cricket world is so greatly dependent on India

Pakistan lost to Zimbabwe in the last T20 world cup. Go and look at that Zimbabwe team and tell me how many of them would get in a combined team. Hell, go back to the 2007 50-over WC and do the same with Ireland and that Pakistan team.

There's a real difference between acknowledging that Indian money greatly influences the ICC and thinking that means that they are dictating the results in some kind of Machiavellian plot. If that was the case, why did they wait until 2024 to do it?

And, again, why wouldn't they spend the money to bribe one of the US tv networks to cover the game? That would be more effective in getting eyes on the product.

Sometimes the most simple explanation can be the right one. And the simplest explanation is that Pakistan are notorious for being inconsistent.