website statistics

Women's 3x3 Basketball FIBA Universality-driven Olympic Qualification Tournament 2 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Josh

Posted (edited)
Women's 3x3 Basketball FIBA Universality-driven Olympic Qualification Tournament 2 2024

JPN.gif Utsunomiya (JPN) - 3 May 2024 - 5 May 2024 JPN.gif

MLUtsunomiya_UOQT2_1.png

Official Website 112255r04u4pz70n9mu99d.png
Programme 114826ez87b86sig8ubgz8.png
Results System 112255r04u4pz70n9mu99d.png
Results Database 160706oyh04y5y4bzsnssy.png
Facebook Page 000832qcaljaxz2cfx2jfq.png
Discussion Thread 160706oyh04y5y4bzsnssy.png
Edited by Sindo

Posted (edited)

Event Preview :cheer:

In Pool A, :GER are the favourites to place first, featuring names like Sonja Greinacher (one of the best 3x3 players in the world), Svenja Brunckhorst and Marie Reichert. Germany was 5th at the most recent World Cup with the same four players that’ll be competing here, and 3rd at the season opening Women’s Series event in Springfield, United States. However despite that, there is a big question mark for the German team. Luana Rodefeld really struggled in Springfield, shooting 6/22 throughout the tournament (5 games) and she was pretty bad defensively as well. She played much better at the latter two games though, going 4/9. Still if I was the German Basketball Federation, I would’ve switched her with Pauline Mayer, who was on fire in Springfield for Frieberg, scoring 23 points in 4 games on 14/29 shooting, but oh well. Anyways, it’ll be far from a cakewalk for them, :JPN who will be very eager to perform well in front of their home-crowd and :AUT (who were 7th at last years World Cup) will also look to challenge. :BRA may be able to sneak out an upset win against one of the three but nothing more.

My Picks: :JPN:GER

In Pool B, :AUS and :CAN are the headliners. For Australia, it’s a HUGE tournament for them as it’s the only chance they’re going to get to qualify for Paris, even as the bronze medalists at last years World Cup. Returning members from that squad Marena Whittle and Alex Wilson will be there (no Maley or Mansfield), along with Lara McSpadden and Miela Goodchild. Haven’t heard of the latter two even as a fan of 3x3, and by doing some research I can see why as both Goodchild and McSpadden have only competed in two 3x3 events each in their career. For Goodchild, the qualifier for last years World Cup, and a Red Bull event in 2021, and for McSpadden, NBL events in 2018 and 2019. Bit of a wildcard are those two, not sure how they’ll perform. On the Australian team, watch out for Marena Whittle in particular. She scored 70 (!) points in 7 games at the World Cup (average of 10 per game, which is insane), 24 more than any other player. She’s not bad defensively either. Canada is the favourite here and in the event though, having won the vast majority of the stops they’ve competed in during the 2022/23 seasons (I’ll edit this with their record just so you can see how ridiculous it is), they were 6th at last years World Cup (and won silver in 2022, lost to the same tough French squad both times), and won the season opening stop in Springfield. The “Big 4” (Michelle and Katherine Plouffe, Paige Crozon, and Kacie Bosch) will be in Utsunomiya along with Cassandra Brown who had a pretty decent tournament at last years Women’s Series Stop in Debrecen. Watch out for the Plouffe sisters (fun fact, they’re former 5x5 players who played at Rio 2016) in particular, they’re absolute monsters on the court. But that’s not to say Crozon and Bosch aren’t good, they also have their strengths. Crozon is one of the best 2-point shooters in the world (and could lead the squad in points on any given day), while Bosch is a defensive machine. This Canadian team’s talent and chemistry is ridiculous, and should they qualify for Paris (quite likely, but like I’ve figured out in surfing with Brooks, nothing is ever guaranteed) will be the favourite for Olympic gold (based on current form at least). For :NED they’ll find it really tough to make it out of pool play, with a desperate Australian squad and the World #1 (not by rankings, but by me) Canadian squad, but they’re capable of upsets. If one does indeed happen, probably would be against Australia. Lastly, for :KEN it’s pretty much try to lose by as small of a margin as possible situation, they won’t be winning any matches. 

My Picks: :CAN:AUS

Edited by Josh

So with that it’ll be :CAN v. :GER and :AUS v. :JPN in the semifinals. I’m going with :CAN and :AUS in the final, with :CAN booking their ticket to Paris. 

But knowing my luck, I wouldn’t be surprised if :KEN is the team that eventually qualifies for Paris :roflmao::lol::facepalm: (kidding… sort of)

Posted (edited)

Game of the day. :NED defeats :AUS 18-16 in an OT thriller. 

Mansfield, with Australia up 15-14, had a chance to put the game away after Netherlands committed their 10th foul, which gave them 2 free throws and possession. She missed both of them, and scored one, to put Australia up 16-14. Boonstra ties the game up with 5 seconds left, and Wilson misses a two for the win off the top of the backboard. Netherlands start with possession in OT, and Boonstra comes up clutch yet again and sinks in the 2 just one possession in for the win!

Edited by Josh

Posted (edited)

:GER Greinacher gives Germany the win in OT off a buzzer-beater, defeating a very gritty :BRA team 18-17

Brazil was 8-14 down at one point, great fight by them.

Edited by Josh

On 4/29/2024 at 5:26 PM, Josh said:

In Pool B, :AUS and :CAN are the headliners. For Australia, it’s a HUGE tournament for them as it’s the only chance they’re going to get to qualify for Paris, even as the bronze medalists at last years World Cup. Returning members from that squad Marena Whittle and Alex Wilson will be there (no Maley or Mansfield), along with Lara McSpadden and Miela Goodchild. Haven’t heard of the latter two even as a fan of 3x3, and by doing some research I can see why as both Goodchild and McSpadden have only competed in two 3x3 events each in their career. For Goodchild, the qualifier for last years World Cup, and a Red Bull event in 2021, and for McSpadden, NBL events in 2018 and 2019. Bit of a wildcard are those two, not sure how they’ll perform. On the Australian team, watch out for Marena Whittle in particular. She scored 70 (!) points in 7 games at the World Cup (average of 10 per game, which is insane), 24 more than any other player. She’s not bad defensively either.

FIBA had the squad for Australia wrong on their website :facepalm:

They have the same exact squad that won bronze at last years World Cup, which includes Maley and Mansfield. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Game of the day. :NED defeats :AUS 18-16 in an OT thriller. 

Mansfield, with Australia up 15-14, had a chance to put the game away after Netherlands committed their 10th foul, which gave them 2 free throws and possession. She missed both of them, and scored one, to put Australia up 16-14. Boonstra ties the game up with 5 seconds left, and Wilson misses a two for the win off the top of the backboard. Netherlands start with position in OT, and Boonstra comes up clutch yet again and sinks in the 2 just one possession in for the win!

Compared to last month’s qualifying tournament, with the disappointing loss in the semi-finals, the Dutch team brought in Zoe Slagter, the superstar of the team that won last years under 23 World Championships.

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:57 AM, Noorderling29 said:

Compared to last month’s qualifying tournament, with the disappointing loss in the semi-finals, the Dutch team brought in Zoe Slagter, the superstar of the team that won last years under 23 World Championships.

Doesn’t matter, 22-9 against Canada, Australia beat Canada and now out before the finals even start.

I mean, we know it could happen, strong group and all, but only 9 against Canada is disappointing.

Edited by AsensioWillemsen