website statistics

GB Diving

Second leg of Diving World Cup kicks off in Berlin later today.

:GBR sending a bit of a depleted squad - there is no Lois Toulson in the women's 10m and, although Spendolini-Sirieix is there, she's only in the individual 10m platform - we won't have synchro pair. Likewise in the men's 10m platform, Kyle Kothari is not competing. Other than that, all of our top team will be there.

Tom Daley is there in the synchro with Noah Williams but I think that the fact that he hasn't taken the opportunity to double up in the individual as well is probably more evidence that he is only targeting the synchro event for Paris. 

Both Grace Reid and Scarlett Mew Jensen have qualified for the final of the 3m springboard. Reid scored 307.95 to qualify in 4th whilst Mew Jensen was 6th with 287.10. 

Overall, the level of the competition was down on the last leg in Montreal - even :CHN Yiwen Chen's score was down about 20 points or so. 

14 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Second leg of Diving World Cup kicks off in Berlin later today.

:GBR sending a bit of a depleted squad - there is no Lois Toulson in the women's 10m and, although Spendolini-Sirieix is there, she's only in the individual 10m platform - we won't have synchro pair. Likewise in the men's 10m platform, Kyle Kothari is not competing. Other than that, all of our top team will be there.

Tom Daley is there in the synchro with Noah Williams but I think that the fact that he hasn't taken the opportunity to double up in the individual as well is probably more evidence that he is only targeting the synchro event for Paris. 

Lois Toulson is not there ? she was in the competitors list last time checked? 

:GBR Diving finish the second world cup in Berlin with a pretty respectable tally of 3 golds, a silver and a bronze.

Mixed Team - Gold: Would be great to see this becoming part of the Olympic program.

Men's 10m Synchro - Gold: Personally I'd say this was the standout performance of the competition for GB. OK, so there wasn't a Chinese pair involved, but Daley and Williams scored 465.00 which I think is their best result since Daley returned and is only 7 points short of what they scored to take gold in Tokyo. I'm not suggesting that they are going to defend their title in Paris, but if they can replicate this kind of performance, they'll certainly be in the medal mix and maybe the Chinese pairing will feel a little pressure.

Men's 3m Synchro - Gold: Laugher and Harding benefitting from a lack of Chinese pair and a mistake by Mexico. Nevertheless, they posted a score that would have put them on the podium in the last 2 world champs and at the Tokyo Olympics. Neither Spain nor Italy have been able to replicate the kind of performance that took them to the podium in Doha so when we get to Paris, the medal fight is probably going to come down to China, Mexico and GB.

Women's 10m Platform - Silver: In Montreal, Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix was within 26 points of catching :CHN Quan but in Berlin, the gap had widened to over 90 points. She didn't have a great inward 3 and 1/2 and her back 1 and 1/2 with 2 and 1/2 twists was also down on previous competitions. I really like to see her upping her degree of difficulty and getting rid of the reverse 2 and 1/2 in favour of something DD of 3.0+ but don't think she'll have time to do that before Paris. 

Women's 3m Synchro - Bronze: Another event where we were missing the Chinese. Harper and Mew Jensen making steady progress this year with 295.59 being a seasons best and it is a score that would put them in the mix for a minor medal in Paris.

Women's 3m Individual - Mew Jensen 5th & Grace Reid 9th: Reid started off pretty strongly and was in medal contention after the first couple of dives but was the lowest scorer in round 3 and couldn't recover. Mew Jensen had a problem with her second round dive which knocked back what was otherwise a pretty solid performance.

Men's 10m Platform - Noah Williams 7th: Williams had a great qualifying but couldn't repeat it in the final with his score dropping by around 60 points. Williams was on course to top qualifying until his last dive whilst in the final, it went wrong early on and he just wasn't able to recover. More worrying at this stage, is the fact that his final dive - the forward 4 and 1/2 - is becoming a bit of an issue as it failed to score more that 40.00 in either the final or qualifying. 

Men's 3m Individual - Daniel Goodfellow 5th & Jack Laugher 9th: Unfortunately, Laugher wasn't able to bring his excellent form from the synchro event into the individual competition. He was the lowest scoring diver in 2 of the rounds and only 1 of his dives was scored in the top 3. He's probably still in the mix for medal in Paris, but there are questions around his consistency since he came back from injury. Goodfellow had a pretty solid competition and was in contention for a medal until the last 2 rounds. His last 2 dives are his most difficult, and he didn't execute them the way he would want so ultimately dropped down the field. 

9 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

One less name in the mix for the men's individual 10m platform spots with Matty Lee undergoing spinal surgery this week.

Matty Lee: Team GB diver to miss Paris Olympics after spinal surgery - BBC Sport

Have we seen much of Houldan this term?

6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Have we seen much of Houldan this term?

He has been competing - he won the British Championships in 2023 with a new PB of 488 points and that got him on to the squad for Fukuoka but he didn't have a great competition. He missed out on Doha after he finished 4th place at the British Diving Cup in Edinburgh in December.

Although he didn't make it on to the international squad, he has been competing domestically - he won the G-Star 2024 event earlier this month with about 450 points so we should see him in the British trials later in the year. 

• 1 month later...

So according to the Beeb, the synchro pairs have been confirmed - https://www.bbc.com/sport/diving/articles/c6pylyyl13go - although there doesn't seem to be a press release from British Swimming/Aquatics GB/Water UK (delete as applicable) to confirm as much.

Men

3m synchro - Jack Laugher/Anthony Harding

10m synchro - Tom Daley/Noah Williams

Women

3m synchro - Yasmin Harper/Scarlett Mew-Jensen

10m synchro - Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix/Lois Toulson

No great surprises I guess. Individual spots after the GB Champs at the end of the month.

39 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

So according to the Beeb, the synchro pairs have been confirmed - https://www.bbc.com/sport/diving/articles/c6pylyyl13go - although there doesn't seem to be a press release from British Swimming/Aquatics GB/Water UK (delete as applicable) to confirm as much.

Men

3m synchro - Jack Laugher/Anthony Harding

10m synchro - Tom Daley/Noah Williams

Women

3m synchro - Yasmin Harper/Scarlett Mew-Jensen

10m synchro - Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix/Lois Toulson

No great surprises I guess. Individual spots after the GB Champs at the end of the month.

I thought I read that the winners of the four individual events at Championships would get selection, but that's seems a hell of a gamble.