website statistics

GB Triathlon

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Wasn't aware until today that Stapley is in the odd position of being eligible for GBR right now - but NOT for these Olympics because he started the Paris process in Australian colours. however both Stapely and Milner look solid candidates for the future. Given Yee also has at least 1 if not two more cycles in him, the men's cupboard is not as bare as I feared a few months ago. Waugh and Fullager, I suspect, will step up post Paris on the distaff side.

Personally, I'd take Dickinson, a competent super sprint relay lead and he proved his credentials as a pilot today

Dickinson really put a big claim on his spot today...whoever we take as to have the super-dom role for Yee to make sure they can drag him to the front pack on the swim bike

17 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Comfortable win for Yee.  Sam Dickenson made a big statement in his bid for Man Two in Paris with a huge swim/bike effort.  Looks like the final men’s place will be decided at a sprint race showdown next weekend, think it’s the European Cup race in Vigo :ESP

Also impressed with Yee's swim, made up 7/8 seconds on that second leg. I'll be able to relax for an hour during the olympics if he swims like that, i think he has the beating of wilde 9.9 times out of 10 on a straight up run

On 5/26/2024 at 11:07 AM, Olympicsnell said:

Also impressed with Yee's swim, made up 7/8 seconds on that second leg. I'll be able to relax for an hour during the olympics if he swims like that, i think he has the beating of wilde 9.9 times out of 10 on a straight up run

If Yee is in the first group in the peloton after transition, he becomes short odds for the win.

If.

Everyone in that peloton knows what they need to do to him; the GBR 'Pilot' will know what he needs to do FOR him. Kinda fascinating, actually. If the race becomes a duathlon because of the Seine, I can only see one winner, Pilot or no pilot.

The women's race, though is an absolute binfire. but the return to form of Taylor-Brown, and the strength of the French seems to me the narrative heading in to Paris

Samuel Dickinson likely to have done enough to take the second spot in the men's team after winning the 'GB selection race' at the European Triathlon Cup in Kielce. In a nice touch, they even put on a live stream of the race so could see he finished pretty strongly and was able to sprint away in the last couple of hundred metres. 

Brownlee put in a decent showing and was among the first group out of the water and led on the bike leg. His running was better than I've seen in a while and whilst he was able to respond to a couple of attacks, when Dickinson went to the front int he final sprint, he didn't have the legs to match the speed.

22 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Samuel Dickinson likely to have done enough to take the second spot in the men's team after winning the 'GB selection race' at the European Triathlon Cup in Kielce. In a nice touch, they even put on a live stream of the race so could see he finished pretty strongly and was able to sprint away in the last couple of hundred metres. 

Brownlee put in a decent showing and was among the first group out of the water and led on the bike leg. His running was better than I've seen in a while and whilst he was able to respond to a couple of attacks, when Dickinson went to the front int he final sprint, he didn't have the legs to match the speed.

Yeah, think so.  All he had to do was show his 1500m is not terrible & sounds like he’s done that.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, think so.  All he had to do was show his 1500m is not terrible & sounds like he’s done that.

Dickinson has to get the nod now, I think, which is sad for JB (who presumably will be reserve if it comes to it now) - seems to have by far the best combo of Pilot Skills and Super Sprint skills for the task, so that he'll be an asset in both races. Given Yee's swim frailty, Dickinson can presumably be nailed on (if he's selected) for the lead leg.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like British Triathlon are really dragging their feet with the team announcement. Still feel like a straight fight between Dickinson and Jonny B on the Men's side (behind Yee), and between Coldwell and Waugh (behind Potter/GTB) on the Women's side?

15 hours ago, cjsavory said:

It feels like British Triathlon are really dragging their feet with the team announcement. Still feel like a straight fight between Dickinson and Jonny B on the Men's side (behind Yee), and between Coldwell and Waugh (behind Potter/GTB) on the Women's side?

I'm not sure either decision is particularly that tough given recent races tbh. Coldwell beat Waugh in effectively the eliminator, and Dickinson has proved to have the swim and bike needed to pull Yee towards the front pack (if needed), and beat Jonny convincingly in the run in their final race recently so I can only see it being those two.

5 hours ago, RussB said:

I'm not sure either decision is particularly that tough given recent races tbh. Coldwell beat Waugh in effectively the eliminator, and Dickinson has proved to have the swim and bike needed to pull Yee towards the front pack (if needed), and beat Jonny convincingly in the run in their final race recently so I can only see it being those two.

I'm not sure either decision *should* be tough. But it can be hard to say no to an Olympic legend, Waugh has some pretty strong credentials, and based on what I've heard, the plan was to announce the team several days ago...so yes, could all be nothing, or they could still be weighing things up! 

1 hour ago, cjsavory said:

I'm not sure either decision *should* be tough. But it can be hard to say no to an Olympic legend, Waugh has some pretty strong credentials, and based on what I've heard, the plan was to announce the team several days ago...so yes, could all be nothing, or they could still be weighing things up! 

I don't think it's impossible they've picked Waugh as having more long term potential, and Sophie is appealling.