website statistics

GB Athletics

3 minutes ago, RussB said:

Certainly does feel like it needs something fresh at the junior / grassroots level. Lessons must be able to be learnt from the middle distance evolution in the UK that has made such a strength out of 800-1500m and beyond up to 10k.

Perhaps we were spoilt by the era of Backley / Edwards / Idowu. Since then it’s been Sophie Hitchon in and HB in the PV who have made a dent at the highest level in the field events. All hopes on Molly in Paris!

I think Greg Rutherford, Shara Proctor, Lorraine Ugen and Jasmin Sawyer did all right to be fair.

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I think Greg Rutherford, Shara Proctor, Lorraine Ugen and Jasmin Sawyer did all right to be fair.

I owe Greg a big disservice there in not mentioning him. Brain is clearly tired.

The girls in the LJ I skipped over for brevity but yes although arguably the talent for the 3 of them didn’t translate into frequent senior outdoor global success which is what I was referring to with JE and SB in particular. 

I mean we've never really had much sustained field success. We've had just over 1 person per decade for my life time - Whitbread, Backley, Edwards, Idowu, Rutherford - in terms of sustained success.

Of the 121 medals won at WCs, only 15 are field medals. Of the 210 Olympic medals, it is only 35.

21 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

As long as we have the "increased standards" swimming-style model, I don't think it matters much what else we do.

That policy is absolutely crippling GBR participation at worlds and Olympics in field events. And without the visability of those athletes, it's tough to see where the potential stars of the future are going to come from.

The money is not there to support much funding. Don’t think people are prepared for just how much lower the whole funding for the next cycle could be. The whole idea of using lottery money to support elite athletes insetad of wider grassroots funding could be coming to an end.

Edited by Orangehair43

21 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean we've never really had much sustained field success. We've had just over 1 person per decade for my life time - Whitbread, Backley, Edwards, Idowu, Rutherford - in terms of sustained success.

Of the 121 medals won at WCs, only 15 are field medals. Of the 210 Olympic medals, it is only 35.

It’s hard to imagine having not one but two world class throwers in the same event as Sanderson vs Whitbread. 

36 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

It’s hard to imagine having not one but two world class throwers in the same event as Sanderson vs Whitbread. 

After that there was Backley and Mick Hill...

On 6/16/2024 at 8:44 PM, cjsavory said:

With two weeks left in the selection window, who else do you think has a realistic shot of achieving the qualifying time/distance? Of those who haven't yet made it, I'm keeping a particularly close eye on:

Alastair Chalmers (400mH)

Jake Norris (Hammer)

Hannah Nuttall (5000m)

Jade Lally (Discus)

Would definitely be good to get some more Field athletes into the team!

Don't know what happened to Alastair Chalmers in Finland today, but safe to say he did NOT achieve the qualifying time!

50 minutes ago, cjsavory said:

Don't know what happened to Alastair Chalmers in Finland today, but safe to say he did NOT achieve the qualifying time!

Think he knocked it on the head once he realised the time was not happening.  Maybe has another chance lined up.

Anyone know if Callum Wilkinson has another chance at racing another 20km walk before the cut off? He only needs a 1:22 or another 1:21 on his rankings to move into a provisional spot on the rankings (which would be accepted as he has the UKA standard) but the British Champs doesn't have a 20km race walk and I can't find any other realistic events on the calendar apart from a few European national championships which he could compete in as an overseas competitor.