website statistics

Men's Curling WCF World Championship 2024 Road to Milano-Cortina 2026

Josh

9 hours ago, Josh said:

It’s not that surprising actually. Although Czech Republic were the favourites. 

Goesgens are ranked #31 and Klima #63 on the world ranking so not so surprising, but of course Netherlands have always been better on tour than when they have played championships.

Just now, Swewi said:

Goesgens are ranked #31 and Klima #63 on the world ranking so not so surprising, but of course Netherlands have always been better on tour than when they have played championships.

I feel like World Curling rankings are hardly an indicator of a teams talents in some cases, IMO Czech Republic is a way more consistent (and better) team than the Netherlands. 

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel like World Curling rankings are hardly an indicator of a teams talents in some cases, IMO Czech Republic is a way more consistent (and better) team than the Netherlands. 

It's more a reflection of who gets invites, or has the finance to travel to the big ranking tournaments.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Well, team Klima is doing quite well. In past few years, nobody beated them at national champs so it's always his team to represent in the international events. Despite two members have changed since qualification tournament for Beijing 2022, they play quite consistent. Yeah, loss to :NED is quite disappointing, but on the other hand, they play really good games against :CAN (almost won) and also good game against :SCO . Yeah, they won't make it to quarterfinals, but descent positions, probably in top 10 and acceptable for next worlds, as their goal is to manage direct qualification for Milano. Which also means, that next year, they really would have to make it to the quarterfinals 😀😀

5 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

It's more a reflection of who gets invites, or has the finance to travel to the big ranking tournaments.

I like the ranking system even if I agree with you. Like my team, could probably be top-50 instead of 116 if we played more abroad. I think the formula is quite good where tournaments are worth more depending on the strength of the opponents. However it should really only count the strenght of those you finish ahead of. An example is the swedish championship this year where the gold was worth much less points than the silver or bronze last year. The only real difference was that Edin did not participate, and should you really get more points just because the team/s ahead of you are stronger. A gold without Edin should be about the same value as a silver without.

However if you are invited to the very most awarding tournaments- the grand slams- that is based on rankings and not special invitations.

Goesgens btw won Sun City Cup in Karlstad recently where Edin came 3rd and Klima didn´t qualify for playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Swewi said:

I like the ranking system even if I agree with you. Like my team, could probably be top-50 instead of 116 if we played more abroad. I think the formula is quite good where tournaments are worth more depending on the strength of the opponents. However it should really only count the strenght of those you finish ahead of. An example is the swedish championship this year where the gold was worth much less points than the silver or bronze last year. The only real difference was that Edin did not participate, and should you really get more points just because the team/s ahead of you are stronger. A gold without Edin should be about the same value as a silver without.

However if you are invited to the very most awarding tournaments- the grand slams- that is based on rankings and not special invitations.

Goesgens btw won Sun City Cup in Karlstad recently where Edin came 3rd and Klima didn´t qualify for playoffs.

Yeah, what can you do, no matter what system you have there will always be anomalies.