website statistics

Team Canada at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships Road to Paris 2024

Mixed bag so far on Day 1.

Jacqueline Simoneau qualified for the solo technical final, placing 3rd in prelims. 

On the other hand, Mia Vallee doesn’t look to be in good form, placing 15th to miss the women’s 1m springboard final. 

8 hours ago, Josh said:

Mixed bag so far on Day 1.

Jacqueline Simoneau qualified for the solo technical final, placing 3rd in prelims. 

On the other hand, Mia Vallee doesn’t look to be in good form, placing 15th to miss the women’s 1m springboard final. 

Same spot Vallee got last year in the 1m, with much better competition. She was ok at the PanAms, but I'm not super confident for Paris. 

6 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Looks like Emma Finlin missed an Olympic quota by half a second. So now she needs a 800m or 1500m OQT to qualify.

At least Simoneau won a silver medal though.

If this was Tokyo she would have qualified, but alas more non-sensical quota cuts

Good for Simoneau, but it happened in a non-Olympic qualifying event, so I couldn’t care less to be honest. Hopefully we can qualify either a team or duet later on. 

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

If this was Tokyo she would have qualified, but alas more non-sensical quota cuts

To be fair, AQUA did make a tradeoff of allowing 800m/1500m athletes with an OQT to be able to swim the open water events so we should still have 25 athletes (if not more) in each event. In previous games, there were some pool swimmers in the open water competition so ultimately there aren't really any changes in quotas. Emma is under 7 seconds back of the 1500m OQT and she just set the Canadian short course record in the event back in April so I'm optimistic that she'll be at the Olympic still.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:26 PM, Topicmaster1010 said:

Good news, CBC is showing the open water events this year unlike last year.

Bad news, they're not showing swimming heats.

Aren’t streaming diving prelims either :(