website statistics

Football 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Is anyone else tired of the constant bitching and moaning from players about the "tough calendar", especially from the lordy English league + Real Madrid. How about earning some of those hugely overpriced salaries you get.

How about getting rid of the useless League Cup, that still for some reason exist on the British isles. How about reducing the leagues to 34 matches. There shouldn't be a top European league with more than 18 teams. I prefer having the ECC in their newer format and a Club World Cup every 4 years (for which not every team is even qualifying), than additional 4 league games, that bring nothing new (plus additional playoffs somewhere). Domestic leagues should start in September and end early May, to fit a longer break, if the players health is concerned.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• OK, so now Hezbollah have to go back to communicating by....[checks Wikipedia]....fax machine.   Thousands hurt by exploding pagers across Lebanon, health minister says - BBC News    
    • They trying to balance out various issues. India for example wants Wrestling to say despite that not being at all popular in Scotland. 
    • I imagine most of the venues from the 2014 Games are still available so most of the sports should return. Diving, shooting and triathlon were held outside the city and may be at risk of not being included. Additionally, 3x3 basketball, beach volleyball and cricket were held in 2022, but not 2014 so I imagine they might be at risk too.
    • I was listening Veno Neveno in this day, probably one of the best song you put here.
    • Lappartient sees the presidency of the IOC as a rung on the ladder towards being President of France
    • Lappartient is...dubious, to say the least. He's got a double digit number of concurrent jobs, some of which are plain conflicts of interest (like being director of a big port organization and also of an organization that is supposed to run checks and controls on the ports). Making his UCI presidency and mayorship of a French town intertwine for personal gains wasn't great neither, just like promoting his local race to the level under the World Tour without there being any reason whatsoever other than his own personal preference.   I know no candidate is going to be clean, that's probably impossible unfortunately, but Lappartient is definitely not known to have a spotless position     At least there is one very much good thing he will be remembered for: bringing the 2025 road world championships to Rwanda, which for many cycling fans has been a massive dream.
    • Scottish government agree to hosting of the Games, CFG announcement done     https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce8ddeeklxko   now to see what this slimmed down idea looks like in sporting terms - given the Glasgow experience of hosting the European Championships in 2018, I'm quite hopeful it will not look as 'cheap and cheerful' as all that. And if it works well, and the Commonwealth Game Brand isn't diluted, it may set up the event more soundly going forward.
    • Sorry but that is a ludicrous and frankly farcical overreaction.   At least four of the named candidates would, IMHO, be a significant improvement over Bach who displayed the worst excesses of a Borgia pope. One - Coventry - would just be a puppet, which is unfortunate given she ticks so many boxes, and a couple are cut from the same authoritarian cloth as Bach. It's hard to imagine even they'd be as spiteful as Bach, however. The worst choice, IMHO is Coventry, for that reason - she's the most puppetlike of the candidates, and her relation to Mugabe does not reflect well on her moral compass.   I have my own biases in this, as a supporter in particular of women's sport and consequences for doping. I think Coe would possibly be the most athlete-centric candidate, Samaranch Jr possibly the most 'movement'-centric. I'm not a great fan of Watanabe, and while the UCI president has done a pretty good job there, I don't entirely trust him - he's the one that could be a 'new bach', as opposed to bach's puppet - I think he might just win it, though.
    • I haven't seen any major bad decisions from Eliasch or Lappartient, when it comes to FIS or UCI, so would actually be OK, if they got the win. Though that seems very unlikely currently.   Coe and Watanabe will be by far the worst choices. Coventry would be a better choice, but i'm not that confident in her to not go off the rails.   Samaranch Jr and Al Hussein are a mystery to me, so not sure what to expect.