website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

7 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Recently one of the German skeleton sliders transferred to CZE and she automatically became Anna Fernstaedova.  If you were to transfer to Latvia you would automatically become Robs TheAggies, because that is a grammatical requirement of Latvian (masculine nominative single)

But we are missing the main point guys!  Gabriella Soukalová is single again!  :banana::hyper:

"We're leaving to the training at 09.00 tomorrow morning."

"Alright honey, can you set the alarm at 03.30 so I have enough time to quickly get ready?"

Fantastic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

"We're leaving to the training at 09.00 tomorrow morning."

"Alright honey, can you set the alarm at 03.30 so I have enough time to quickly get ready?"

Fantastic.

well, that sounds to me more Dorotha Wierer-esque than Gabi Soukalová/Koukalová to be honest :p

18 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well, that sounds to me more Dorotha Wierer-esque than Gabi Soukalová/Koukalová to be honest :p

I think Wierer can do it faster, S/Koukalova is the one who was famous for holding up podium ceremonies and so on because the makeup wasn't yet (what she would probably call) 'perfect' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

Gabriela Koukalova and her husband have gotten a divorce.  Honest question with the Czech language.  Does she lose the -lova in her last name?

Who wrote this? 

What is this headline? :wacko:

What is everything :facepalm:

Former biathlon superstar differs from his athlete - “This is the situation”

15 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I think the article was heavily influenced by Google Translator.  But thanks for the info with the last name.  I could not remember how it worked.

It is in fact quite easy. There Male and Female suffix in many slavic languages, especially in the Czech/Slovak language.

The suffix -ova, means basically : Belongs to..

so this means the females surname in this case basically means : belongs to ...

Now, each girls surname since her born "belongs" to her father´s surname.

Example: hypothetically your name is John Watson, you have a daughter, in CZE/SVK her surname will be Watsonová, just like all her sisters and mother.

They carry this surname until they get married, then they receive the husband's surname and add the suffix.

Example: Her husbands name is for example John Johnson, so when she get married, her surname then "belongs" to her husband, so in CZE/SVK her surname will be ... Johnsonová., just like her future daughter(s) etc...

so for example Slovak biathletes: Fialková (father Fialka), Poliaková (father Poliak), Gereková (father Gerek) etc...

+ there also one exceptions. If the male surname finish by -ý. Like for example Suchý, Malý etc... the females suffix will not be ová but -á. Suchá, Malá etc...

for example our former tennis player Martina Suchá (father Suchý)

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

@hckosice I thought the Cerna or Sucha comes from the adjective form (which might always end with 'y" in Czech like it usually does in Polish :p ). I mean there's a reason Jana Novotna wasn't Jana Novotnova ;)

yep, all male surnames finishing by - ý, like Novotný, Nový, Černý, Surový, Hrubý etc... = female surname Novotná, Nová, Černá, Surová, Hrubá etc..

Jana Novotnová would be only if her husbands/fathers surname would be like Novotna, Novotno, Novotn for example

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

yep, all male surnames finishing by - ý, like Novotný, Nový, Černý, Surový, Hrubý etc... = female surname Novotná, Nová, Černá, Surová, Hrubá etc..

Jana Novotnová would be only if her husbands/fathers surname would be like Novotna, Novotno, Novotn for example

Yeah, I had that figured out. I suppose it's the same in Spanish were names are derived from male or female forms (hence matador and torrero with torreador being an incorrect word). Btw, does the club Matador Puchov still exist? :p

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, I had that figured out. I suppose it's the same in Spanish were names are derived from male or female forms (hence matador and torrero with torreador being an incorrect word). Btw, does the club Matador Puchov still exist? :p

haha that random club who played once 1-1 with FC Barcelona ? :lol:

Obviously the club exist and play in our 2nd tier if I am not wrong. but not under this name anymore, Matador left the club in 2006.

Matador is the biggest Slovak Tires brand https://www.matador.tires/car/the-brand , located in the city Púchov,  :d