website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Totallympics

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Here as well the calls by the right-win politicians had their effect.

IFDLgVI.png

Don't think Israel scoring high had a lot to do with right wing/centre left and right politics. Like I said before people don't like bullies, they'd have seen how much Eden was getting wrongly booed for doing nothing wrong and voted her to fight back against those who have been bullying her all week. 

25 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Don't think Israel scoring high had a lot to do with right wing/centre left and right politics. Like I said before people don't like bullies, they'd have seen how much Eden was getting wrongly booed for doing nothing wrong and voted her to fight back against those who have been bullying her all week. 

That's honestly a rather naive idea. At least here in Denmark several major right wing politicians have been very clear and their replies on X or Facebook is packed with people showing how they've sent 10+ votes for Israel. That's not about bullies. That's showing support to Israel against criticism.

And BTW. From what I hear, people in the Israeli delegation has been just as bad (if not worse).

And man are the Israeli ready to use both the bad jury results ad the great viewer result for political purpose!

25 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

That's honestly a rather naive idea. At least here in Denmark several major right wing politicians have been very clear and their replies on X or Facebook is packed with people showing how they've sent 10+ votes for Israel. That's not about bullies. That's showing support to Israel against criticism.

And BTW. From what I hear, people in the Israeli delegation has been just as bad (if not worse).

And man are the Israeli ready to use both the bad jury results ad the great viewer result for political purpose!

8 minutes ago, Agger said:

I would hardly call it naive. When it comes to contest like this the majority of the public don't vote based off politics preferences and political allies, they instead vote based off the performances on the night. They would have heard the boos in the arena and on social media from other performances in the week and voted for Eden out of sympathy for the reaction she got. Yes the Israeli delegation were harassing other artists and journalists but we're doing so after what they said about their country, and Eden was involved in none of this and has made no political statement or aggravate the pro-Palestine supporters in any way. Fans, artists and delegations took their political views into this contest when it should've been about uniting everyone with music no matter what country you're from, and their behaviour prevented that from happening. 

29 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I would hardly call it naive. When it comes to contest like this the majority of the public don't vote based off politics preferences and political allies, they instead vote based off the performances on the night. They would have heard the boos in the arena and on social media from other performances in the week and voted for Eden out of sympathy for the reaction she got. Yes the Israeli delegation were harassing other artists and journalists but we're doing so after what they said about their country, and Eden was involved in none of this and has made no political statement or aggravate the pro-Palestine supporters in any way. Fans, artists and delegations took their political views into this contest when it should've been about uniting everyone with music no matter what country you're from, and their behaviour prevented that from happening. 

But the majority votes once or twice, not twenty times (at least not in Denmark).

But no matter what, it's all speculations from both of us.

The one thing that is certain is that Israel enjoy using the result.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Agger said:

Don't forget that anyone who has any sort of criticism is immediately branded anti-Semitic. Ugh.

Same here about right wing by the way, the likes of Geert Wilders van Caroline van der Plas have absolutely riled up their large base of support to explicitly vote for Israel (when otherwise they would absolutely not give a single fuck about Eurovision). They do definitely not vote based on 'the performance of the night', absolutely no way. Wouldn't be surprised if half of their votes had already been sent before Israel even performed.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Meanwhile we're also still waiting on any kind of statement from EBU or anyone around the production about their side of the story that led to the first ever disqualification. One would assume serious punches were thrown and hit, which would make the DQ very much logical of course, but so far...nothing from them about what happened.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Agger said:

But the majority votes once or twice, not twenty times (at least not in Denmark).

But no matter what, it's all speculations from both of us.

The one thing that is certain is that Israel enjoy using the result.

Yes they will probably use the result for their own propaganda even though people who voted for them most likely did so for Eden and not for the country (as someone who is centre left (votes for Labour who is the main centre left/left wing party in the UK) and is mostly pro Israel even I voted for Israel because I felt sorry for Eden and not because I favour Israel in the Israel/Palestine conflict). I'm still happy for Eden that Israel got a big score, after all the bullying and abuse she's been through this week it was thoroughly deserved. As for Osterdaal and the EBU they need to resign. Multiple countries broke multiple rules this contest and should've been disqualified, including Israel, Ireland and Portugal. The Dutch disqualification was the icing on the cake though as it was so petty and probably done to stop there being I riot from Israel from winning as they'd have probably won if the Dutch were still in as he'd have taken up a big chunk of Tele votes. I can't see a world where Israel takes part until the current Israel/Palestine conflict is over, despite the majority of people who watch Eurovision not caring about Israel's participation the majority of people who actually attend the event are pro Palestine and we can't have another situation like this year.  

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Don't forget that anyone who has any sort of criticism is immediately branded anti-Semitic. Ugh.

Same here about right wing by the way, the likes of Geert Wilders van Caroline van der Plas have absolutely riled up their large base of support to explicitly vote for Israel (when otherwise they would absolutely not give a single fuck about Eurovision). They do definitely not vote based on 'the performance of the night', absolutely no way.

I don't know what it's like in other countries but I doubt right wing political figures would have that much influence on how an entire country votes. I know for a fact that in the UK, even though the top 3 parties aren't far right or far left, no right wing political tried to persuade people to vote for Israel because of the conflict and many people I know voted for Israel because they felt sorry for Eden and we're upset at how she was treated. 

7 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

5+ TOP 10 streaks:

1. :GBR 19 (1959-1977)
  2. :GBR 11 (1978-1988)
  3. :ESP 10 (1966-1975)
  4. :IRL 9 (1973-1981)
  5. :FRA 9 (1957-1965)
  6. :ITA 9 (1957-1965)
  7. :FRA 8 (1988-1995)
  8. :GRE 8 (2004-2011)
  9. :DEN 8 (1957-1964)
  10. :GER 8 (1966-1973)
  11. :MLT 8 (1991-1998)
  12. :SUI 8 (1975-1982)
  13. :GBR 8 (1979-1886)

This streak was so underrated, and to do it as a non-Big 5 country in an era where Eurovision regularly had 40+ competing countries :thumbup:

And in 2012 we were top 10 in televoting but the juries killed Eleftheria, and also Cyprus having a similar type of song and doing well also probably took a lot of votes both from our diaspora and from people who like that type of music. And in 2013 we made top 10 again, so it really could've been 10 years :d