website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

@hckošice I posted the Martikan thing on a Dutch forum, because it's cool, and there the question arose: is Martikan the number one sports hero in Slovakia? The exact question was: "Is he more popular than Peter the Great?"

You know, cycling is a very big deal in the Netherlands, so everyone here knows Sagan, whereas only a handful of diehard sports addicts will have ever heard of Martikan, making it hard to guess how it is in Slovakia. Looking at the time from independence until now, who would you say is the number one sports hero in terms of popularity, respect and such?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@hckošice I posted the Martikan thing on a Dutch forum, because it's cool, and there the question arose: is Martikan the number one sports hero in Slovakia? The exact question was: "Is he more popular than Peter the Great?"

You know, cycling is a very big deal in the Netherlands, so everyone here knows Sagan, whereas only a handful of diehard sports addicts will have ever heard of Martikan, making it hard to guess how it is in Slovakia. Looking at the time from independence until now, who would you say is the number one sports hero in terms of popularity, respect and such?

In what he achieved surely yes, definitely one of our all-time top guys alongside of the Hochschorner twins and Peter Sagan. The Slovak sport hall of fame

In popularity Petra Vlhová

In most famous celebrity and every-slovak-teenie-icon-and-idol Juraj Slafkovský

2023 TISC Annual participants might be interested to know that California gained three more state symbols today: https://www.gov.ca.gov/2024/09/27/claws-for-celebration-governor-newsom-signs-legislation-establishing-state-crustacean-slug-and-seashell/

Here’s a list of the others: https://www.library.ca.gov/california-history/state-symbols/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

2023 TISC Annual participants might be interested to know that California gained three more state symbols today: https://www.gov.ca.gov/2024/09/27/claws-for-celebration-governor-newsom-signs-legislation-establishing-state-crustacean-slug-and-seashell/

Here’s a list of the others: https://www.library.ca.gov/california-history/state-symbols/

Cool :d

But also, what now? Like, the banana slug is the 'official California state slug'....so....now what? :p 

Do we get like the LA Banana Slugs in the baseball leagues? Just curious as to what exactly the point is of these state things, definitely out of curiousity :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Cool :d

But also, what now? Like, the banana slug is the 'official California state slug'....so....now what? :p 

I have no idea honestly. It's fun to have official things though :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I have no idea honestly. It's fun to have official things though :p

I guess so. Anyway, the banana slug definitely looks cool and I had no idea it existed, learned something :d 

Edited by heywoodu

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I guess so. Anyway, the banana slug definitely looks cool and I had no idea it existed, learned something :d 

I can confirm they’re quite the thing to see in person. The University of California Santa Cruz uses them as the mascot.