website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Poor children, being forced by their parents actions to sit in the front :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

In our country, we don't do that. But, there is a current habit that is more bizarre... Parents nailed or taped their kids' schoolbags to book the front seats (because sitting at the back > can't see/listen clearly > stupid) at dawn of first day school... It used to be parents rushing their half-asleep kids at dawn to book a seat in class. this only happen in state-owned schools.

wtf ? :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, US went goes back to schools depending on what state you live in, what school district you are zoned for, and rather you attend private of public schools. Fun fact, there is no set national curriculum for schools. For instance Alabama could choose to not teach students about slavery and that would be perfectly legal. Also no one gives two shits about teachers in this country. In fact we have a shortage of teachers and public school funding. Our schools are in desperate need of repair, and many kids now attend school with bulletproof backpacks. It’s not a mystery why we rank in the mid 50s of worldwide education rankings. 

In terms of customs on the first day, General kids spend a lot of time dressing nicer than they usually would. There’s not really any traditions regarding a teacher. However, having attending private religious schools my entire life up until university, I can say that we always started the first day with a welcoming prayer, and a principal’s speech. Besides that nothing special really.

Now I am really surprised to see the first school day is not same in the country, I always thought it must be the same day for the whole country.

53 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

No in India we don't get flowers or anything else. Some students may get chocolates but those are the good students. Most students are like why the hell did the holidays finish. In India school starts around June first week or end of May. 

teachers receive the flowers from pupils. when I was younger I've always wondered where all those flowers will end, because there were really many :lol:

40 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Considering how busy and annoyingly noisy the train was this morning, I think in my part of the country it is indeed the first day of school, but since I'm not in school, I don't really follow when the school ends and starts in which part of the country :p (it's split in three parts, which are sort of overlapping but not completely, to avoid too many traffic jams from people going on vacation :d )

I was out before the time on which children of lower ages would be cycling to school, so didn't really notice, but no, there's no specific tradition. Half of the children is going to school with a "fuck, vacation is over and life sucks" kind of mood, the other half is going all excited to share their vacation stories for a day and then get into the "is it weekend?!?!" mood just like any regular school day :p 

again, I don´t get how is it possible to have different school programs and schedules within one country, it´s not like the Netherlands are so insanely large ?

Just now, hckosice said:

again, I don´t get how is it possible to have different school programs and schedules within one country, it´s not like the Netherlands are so insanely large ?

Zuid - South

Noord - North

Midden - Middle (where I am)

imfTtlk.png

There's a list of which cities/provinces are part of which region:

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/schoolvakanties/regios-schoolvakantie

It's entirely due to spreading out the vacations, so not the entire nation is driving to France and Austria at the same time :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, hckosice said:

teachers receive the flowers from pupils. when I was younger I've always wondered where all those flowers will end, because there were really many :lol:

Yeah I meant that students don't get flowers to their teachers. My mistake

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Poor children, being forced by their parents actions to sit in the front :p 

Haha just an Asian thing, every factors that prevent student from getting maximal grades must be eliminated.Otherwise the seats will remain permanent unless you have eyesight problems.

But I rarely sat in front despite wearing glasses during my school years, because of my height...

:CZE Firefighters extinguished the fire in the field in a few minutes :)

Czech fire-fighters from the Moravian-Silesian Region used an interesting tactic for fire-fighting. They sprayed the water on the flames from the nozzle connected to the pump on the side of the firecar. Similarly, usually the roads are pouring during the hot summer, but it is not a common practice in fire-fighting at all.

As can be seen in the pictures published by Czech firefighters, the unconventional method of fire fighting somehow proved to be successful. The fire was extinguished in only a couple of minutes.

There was no need to stretch the hoses or anyone to control the water cannon from the firecar. Only thng required was to have a quite skilled driver and colleagues who were willing to navigate him properly.

7 hours ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Yes We had to wear uniforms until College.

Yep 14 years of uniforms until university this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, hckosice said:

Now I am really surprised to see the first school day is not same in the country, I always thought it must be the same day for the whole country.

In the US we have a part of the federal government called “special districts”. Essentially they’re parts of the government that function somewhat independently to provide their service. John Oliver did a really good job of explaining this on his show, you can find a clip on YouTube (it would help you understand the system much more).

In fact during elections we also elect the school broad and superintendent (school district president). So for instance, many of the teachers in my mothers district (she’s a teacher) voted for a school board they didn’t get, and their districts been in shambles because the people the town elected were not good at their job and practiced corruption from the very start, to the point were a 18 year old high school student (not me) sued them and has caused as mess for them ever since. In fact in the last election, I elected the president of my public university, so far I think I made that right choice, but apparently there’s some shady stuff happening. 

I could explain more about the American school system, but it’s really complicated. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

In the US we have a part of the federal government called “special districts”. Essentially they’re parts of the government that function somewhat independently to provide their service. John Oliver did a really good job of explaining this on his show, you can find a clip on YouTube (it would help you understand the system much more).

In fact during elections we also elect the school broad and superintendent (school district president). So for instance, many of the teachers in my mothers district (she’s a teacher) voted for a school board they didn’t get, and their districts been in shambles because the people the town elected were not good at their job and practiced corruption from the very start, to the point were a 18 year old high school student (not me) sued them and has caused as mess for them ever since. In fact in the last election, I elected the president of my public university, so far I think I made that right choice, but apparently there’s some shady stuff happening. 

I could explain more about the American school system, but it’s really complicated. 

Well, this doesn´t really answered my question, the only thing I see is that you looks to not be very satisfied with your school system. :d

well, the truth is that each country certainly has its pros and cons, our system also has many shortcomings. I have to admit that I never liked our schools system I always found it too strict. although in the other hand I also must admit that the main reason was grammar. it was a torture for me. it may not seem like that, but our grammar really is one of the most difficult in the world.