website statistics

Ice Hockey Discussion | Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Road to Milano-Cortina 2026

Totallympics

Question for anybody here.  I see the women are having a prelim round in December then final Olympic Qualification in Feb. 2025. Does anyone here follow the women's tournaments ? I never have but think i will watch for the first time.  Anybody have thoughts on the 21 teams trying for the 3 spots ?

On 9/1/2024 at 9:15 PM, hckošice said:

Mens Ice Hockey Tournament Groups

1) If :RUS is in (Personally I put a 20% chance)

A- :CAN :SWE :SUI :ITA 

B- :FIN :GER :CZE :DEN

C- :RUS :USA :SVK :LAT

2) If :RUS banned and :FRA is repeached as best 2nd team from the Final Qualifying Tournaments

(Personally I put a 50% chance)

A- :CAN :SUI :CZE :ITA

B- :FIN :SWE :SVK :DEN

C- :USA :GER :LAT :FRA

3) If :RUS banned and :NOR is repeached as highest seeded non-qualified (Personally I put a 30% chance)

B- :FIN :SWE :SVK :DEN

C- :USA :GER :LAT :NOR

On 9/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, hckošice said:

I made a small mistake here. in the B variant (the more likely)

In case Russia banned and :FRA getting repeached (according to rumors behind the scenes it is amost certain now)

France will be in Group B and Denmark in Group C

so...

B- :FIN :SWE :SVK :FRA

C- :USA :GER :LAT :DEN

So, I was wrong AGAIN !

Definitely, not my best period lol...

So, If :RUS not allowed the host :ITA will be moved to group B, despite being behind :FRA in the world Ranking, but

*As France has qualified as the combined best second ranked team from the Final Olympic Qualification, it has been decided to grant them ranking 12th. 

At least IIHF confirmed that it will be :FRA who will replace :RUS in case of continuing ban (almost certain) The final decision on Russian hockey in Milano will be revealed this March

https://www.iihf.com/en/news/62507/2026_men_s_winter_olympic_games_qualifications

Following the Men’s Olympic qualifications which took place in three different locations over the last weekend in Bratislava, Riga and Aalborg. Slovakia, Latvia and Denmark were able to qualify for the next 2026 Winter Olympic Games. 

Based on the results, the following groups will apply during the competition: 

Group A  Group B Group C
Canada Finland Russia
Sweden Germany United States 
Switzerland  Czechia Slovakia
Italy  Denmark  Latvia 

With respect to Russia’s participation, the IIHF would like to remind you that the following two alternatives will apply depending on the situation: 

1)    In the event that Russia participates in the tournament, the team will take part according to the pre-established ranking; 

2)    If Russia is not able to participate, France would be qualified for the Olympic Games as the second best placed team – according to the Combined Ranking from the three Final Olympic Qualification Groups played in August 24th, 2024.   

In case Russia is not allowed to participate, the groups would then appear as follows

Group A Group B Group C
Canada Finland United States 
Switzerland Sweden Germany
Czechia Slovakia Latvia
France* Italy Denmark

*As France has qualified as the combined best second ranked team from the Final Olympic Qualification, it has been decided to grant them ranking 12th. 

https://italia.hockey/2024/09/05/presentato-a-milano-lhead-coach-della-nazionale-italiana-di-hockey-su-ghiaccio-jukka-jalonen/

The new staff has already been presented. I wonder if the results will be better than the Canadian school? There is little time... What do you think?

11 minutes ago, copravolley said:

https://italia.hockey/2024/09/05/presentato-a-milano-lhead-coach-della-nazionale-italiana-di-hockey-su-ghiaccio-jukka-jalonen/

The new staff has already been presented. I wonder if the results will be better than the Canadian school? There is little time... What do you think?

Have they recruited any dual nationals?