website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah those photos of leaders standing directly next to each other, ignoring what's widely been called the number one safety measure, have baffled me since the beginning (from multiple countries) :p 

Population itself says something, but population density says even more. I'm guessing Bratislava is Slovakia's most densely populated city (do correct me if I'm wrong), and it's barely even at 30% of the density of the 133rd most densely populated US city. If you're not densely populated, you're going to do a hell of a lot better.

To take it to an extreme: even if they might have given everyone in the former Kowloon Walled City a mask, no way it would not have spread like madness there simply because distance :p 

It’s also worth noting that our building style is much different than Asia and Europe. Unless your in the downtown (city center) part of a major city in the U.S., people’s properties a more spread out, and have less inhabitants. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Latest data as of 14th May, 2020.

Top best recovery rate (These countries have recorded more than 70% recovery rate)

Data counted only for countries with more than 1000 cases.

No

Country

Total
Cases

New
Cases

Total
Deaths

New
Deaths

Total
Recovered

Active
Cases

Percentage recovered

from total cases

Iceland

+0

+0

98.78 %

Hong Kong

+1

+0

95.91 %

Thailand

+1

+0

94.43 %

China

+3

+0

94.29 %

New Zealand

+0

+0

94.26 %

Luxembourg

+10

+1

92.96 %

Australia

+9

+0

90.16 %

Austria

+61

+2

89.70 %

Switzerland

+50

+0

88.96 %

South Korea

+29

+1

88.82 %

Germany

+552

+81

86.33 %

Croatia

+8

+0

83.30 %

Ireland

+159

+9

83.20 %

Denmark

+46

+4

82.19 %

Uzbekistan

+24

+0

81.03 %

Iran

+1,808

+71

79.05 %

Malaysia

+40

+1

78.47 %

Slovakia

+8

+0

75.29 %

21 hours ago, dcro said:

How on earth can they even attempt to compare a place like the United States (330 million) to a country like Slovakia (5 million)? :lol:

If anything, living in small places with limited international travel has proven highly advantageous in battling the coronavirus crisis. And even there, living in small towns/villages is even more beneficial than living in cities.

Also, is there no 1.5 m rule in Slovakia? :p

Reveal hidden contents

Sure. but again if you look at the matter in terms of the size of the country. The USA is much larger, while Slovakia has a length of some cca 500 kilometers and you can cross the whole country basically in about 7 hours by car from west to east and 3-4 hours from north to south, smaller area means also that it is quite easier to get infected than in extremely larger area like the US.

Yesterdays recap:

4876 Tests provided yesterday unveiled 8 new confirmed cases (6 of them from the last quarantined Roma slum that will have to remain closed for another two weeks and 2 cases across the country), no new death and 52 newly recovered patients which means we surpassed the 1100 healed patients.

Currently 338 Active cases registered in the country, 134 hospitalized patients, 4 in intensive care beds and 1 still under artificial lung ventilator

So right now in Slovakia

1477 Confirmed Cases   (+8 Yesterday), 

4876 Tests Yesterday    (131910 in Total)

27 Deaths  (+0 Yesterday), 1112 Fully Recovered  (+52 Yesterday)

https://covid-19.nczisk.sk/en

2 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Sure. but again if you look at the matter in terms of the size of the country. The USA is much larger, while Slovakia has a length of some cca 500 kilometers and you can cross the whole country basically in about 7 hours by car from west to east and 3-4 hours from north to south, smaller area means also that it is quite easier to get infected than in extremely larger area like the US.

But then again, having a much smaller area and population means it's much easier to control the source of the spread (including the all-important patient(s) zero). Plus, all these big countries do have regions that are extremely densely populated (like the whole BosWash area).

Countries that fought the virus best in Europe are places like Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. They all have small population + small area + small international travel (especially during February/March).

Similar places in Western Europe (Ireland, Portugal, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Belgium) have a much larger circulation of international travellers, so they didn't do so well...

#banbestmen

Anyway, there's no doubt that Slovakia did a great job in containing the spread, statistically speaking. I just find it silly how the article tries to compare Slovakia with the United States. It's apples and oranges. At best you can compare Slovakia to certain states, but even that's iffy since the states are still a part of the same country.

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Anyway, there's no doubt that Slovakia did a great job in containing the spread, statistically speaking. I just find it silly how the article tries to compare Slovakia with the United States. It's apples and oranges. At best you can compare Slovakia to certain states, but even that's iffy since the states are a part of the same country.

Yeah, you really can't compare countries like Slovakia and Latvia with the USA or something. That being said, I am definitely happy those countries that have good conditions to get it under control actually managed to use those conditions to actually keep it sort of under control. I'm sure leaders reacting like Trump or Bolsonaro would have managed to screw up even those countries :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Anyway, there's no doubt that Slovakia did a great job in containing the spread, statistically speaking. I just find it silly that the article tries to compare Slovakia with the United States. Apples and oranges. At best you can compare Slovakia to certain states, but even that's iffy since the states are a part of the same country.

I agree it’s unfair to compare Slovakia and United States, but it’s not completely unfair to compare policies and government reaction/strategies. That’s a place where there’s a lot of difference between nations, and it may be helpful to study which responses and measures have worked the best globally.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 godziny temu, dcro napisał:

How on earth can they even attempt to compare a place like the United States (330 million) to a country like Slovakia (5 million)? :lol:

If anything, living in small places with limited international travel has proven highly advantageous in battling the coronavirus crisis. And even there, living in small towns/villages is even more beneficial than living in cities.

Also, is there no 1.5 m rule in Slovakia? :p

Odkryj ukrytą treść

And as far as I remember almost everyone here laughed how quickly and seriously Slovakia reacted for this pandemic, someone people thought that restrictions introduced by them were too overreacted. Now we can see that they did great job and they reached success ;) 

6 minutes ago, rybak said:

And as far as I remember almost everyone here laughed how quickly and seriously Slovakia reacted for this pandemic, someone people thought that restrictions introduced by them were too overreacted. Now we can see that they did great job and they reached success ;) 

Yes, just like Croatia, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Countries of similar predisposition.

And then there are places like Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan, whose numbers are even better than those of Slovakia. But that's because they were smart enough to ignore WHO and immediately impose travel ban to China, rightfully assuming the situation was worse than reported...

#banbestmen