website statistics

Hockey

Josh

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Josh said:

Tavares scores just 15 seconds into OT on route to a pathetic 7-6 win over Austria today. Canada was up 6-1 (!!) heading into the 3rd, and we almost blew it. Binnington was fucking awful (he’s not a good goalie, but I wasn’t expecting this), letting in those 6 goals on 21 shots (5 goals on 9 shots in the 3rd), and the coaches are brain dead for not changing goalies at 6-4/5. Not at all happy with the win. 

:facepalm::facepalm::hairpull::wall::cry:

Also, what makes it even worse of a result (if that’s even possible), is that IN HISTORY Austria has never scored more than 2 goals in a game against a Canadian men’s hockey team (including juniors, and U18s)

Really really hoping that Binnington isn’t on the Olympic team for Milano-Cortina 2026. If it were up to me, right now I’d go with Hill and Montebeault for two of goalie spots, and a pretty open third spot. 

Edited by Josh
Made a mistake with the names.

29 minutes ago, Josh said:

Also, what makes it even worse of a result (if that’s even possible), is that IN HISTORY Austria has never scored more than 2 goals in a game against a Canadian men’s hockey team (including juniors, and U18s)

Really really hoping that Binnington isn’t on the Olympic team for Milano-Cortina 2026. If it were up to me, right now I’d go with Price and Montebeault for two of goalie spots, and a pretty open third spot. 

Price is basically retired. Surely you got to go with one of the Vegas goalies (Hill, Thompson) as well

2 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Price is basically retired. Surely you got to go with one of the Vegas goalies (Hill, Thompson) as well

:facepalm: Not sure how I made this mistake, but for some reason I said Price instead of Hill.

Right now, Hill would for sure be the starting goaltender for Canada. 

5 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Unless someone emerges in the next two years (which is very possible) goaltending will be Canada's biggest (only?) weakness in 2026.

Hill is severely underrated, and if he’s playing as well as he is now, I wouldn’t even call goaltending that much of a weakness. Sure we’ll probably be behind United States, Sweden, Finland, and maybe Latvia (Silovs is no joke) but other than that…

Big 5-3 win against Finland to improve to 5-0. Binnington let in a couple of goals early on in the 1st period, but it was mainly the defences fault, even if it is quite easy to blame him. 

Had to take some time to recover from the game today, as it was an extremely disappointing result, but Canada lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the shootouts during the semifinals. Pretty puzzling choices for the shootout (fuck you Tourigny) besides Bedard, with Dubois, Severson, and Power. If I was him, I would’ve picked Tavares, Mercer, and Hagel. Also, not sure what he was fucking thinking giving Bedsy hardly any playing time, especially during OT. You’d think he hates him. Really hope he isn’t our coach for the Olympics, otherwise we’re screwed…

Swiss goalie Genoni was on fire though, even if he did let in the game tying goal with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd period, so props to him. 

Oh and FYI, this is only the 2nd time in the last 9 editions that we’ve failed to advance to the gold medal match (2018 we also lost to Switzerland…)

Bronze medal match against Sweden tomorrow. 

Just now, Josh said:

Had to take some time to recover from the game today, as it was an extremely disappointing result, but Canada lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the shootouts during the semifinals. Pretty puzzling choices for the shootout (fuck you Tourigny) besides Bedard, with Dubois, Severson, and Power. If I was him, I would’ve picked Tavares, Mercer, and Hagel. Also, not sure what he was fucking thinking giving Bedsy hardly any playing time, especially during OT. You’d think he hates him. Really hope he isn’t our coach for the Olympics, otherwise we’re screwed…

Swiss goalie Genoni was on fire though, even if he did let in the game tying goal with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd period, so props to him. 

Oh and FYI, this is only the 2nd time in the last 9 editions that we’ve failed to advance to the gold medal match (2018 we also lost to Switzerland…)

Bronze medal match against Sweden tomorrow. 

From my tournament analysis, Cozens, Bedard, Tavares, and maybe Binnington are the only ones in contention right now, at least as far as the NHL Four Nations Face-Off goes (and a potential Olympic roster, but a lot more things can change between now and then)