website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

@heywooduIt's funny because I almost missed ES getting the athletics back. I suppose Discovery let the product out on European market again because there seems to be lack of depth among the so-called US track & field stars. No offense but Kerley & Coleman ain't exactly Maurice Greene. Likewise women's sprints, Richardson isn't Marion Jones for better or worse. USA remains a powerhouse but they don't have star appeal athletes and the quiet & stoic McLaughlin isn't the best sell for being the face of the sport.

@OlympicsFanWell, let's see if Mihambo injury woes continue into 2024. USA doesn't have a Reese type jumper either. Vuleta isn't blind, the overall level of LJ has dropped compared to the 2010s. Germany still have some push in the javelin but the track events have completely folded. Nothing in 400/800 or hurdles. Compared to the early 1990s when I started watching athletics Germany has regressed the most out of European countries (followed by France). Meanwhile countries like Netherlands and Italy are maximizing their chances and winning more medals than expected.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Yeah, I saw that Krizsán was projected 4th on the TV, we are getting the TV feed in the stadium. But once the race was over the official results showed up on the big screen without Vetter and a couple of other athletes, so Krizsán was shown as the third placed athlete. They basically showed an incomplete final result for some reason in the stadium after the race was over, the points of the last few finishing athletes in the second 800m heat weren't calculated. Even the Hungarian Eurosport commentators got confused and started thinking it might be final. You can see it in the broadcast that even Krizsán was kinda confused because the crowd went wild. 

Yeah, this has caused problems before. They start by showing the live results of the 800m only as they are confirmed in the same way as if it were the 100m race, and only after that the overall calculated scores for all seven.

7 hours ago, Federer91 said:

European economy and everything else is already built for the country to function. Plus their politicians aren't stealing that much (in contrast of what Western media like to talk about Orban). 

Now Bulgarian politicians are a different breed. With all the stolen money and corruption here in the last 12 years, that went for hotels in Northern Greece, we could probably build 5 such stadiums. Some countries just know their priorities.

Good to hear ...

Overall very poor/ideologically-driven "analysis".

1) People like Orban or Putin can pour insane amounts of money into sports (or military) because they aren't held as accountable as western politicians. Of course we all know that for example every american war (Vietnam, Afghanistan) since 1945 has been for financial reasons as well, so western politicians aren't much better. Would be interesting to know who earned money with building all the venues in Hungary ...

In the end Orban can claim that he did spend all the money for his people (bringing all those sporting events to Hungary), while in reality he transfered european tax payer money to his friends/family who built the venues. Hungarian people are happy and probably don't ask if the money wouldn't have been better spent on education or healthcare.

2) Obviously it helps that western companies invest in Hungary (because production there is cheaper).

3) Personally i think that western european tax payers have every right to be pissed about Orban using their money to enrich himself. Of course Orban isn't the only one, the same happens with development aid in countries like Ethiopia.

4) Hungary gets more than twice as much money as Bulgaria from the EU.

5) I think it also helps Hungary that they still get gas from Russia. Some people might ask why the EU accepts that Hungary constantly acts against its interests and why Hungary is still part of the EU, but of course kicking Hungary out would hurt western european companies that produce there, so this probably won't happen.

6) It is interesting to look at the role Orban played in connection with the planned Nabucco pipeline.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Budapest Day 3. Poor Imre Nagy monument has been moved away by Orban from prestigious place in front of the Parliament to the less known square close to the Margaret Bridge. The monument must have made Orban angry as a symbol of protest against autocracy. But i found the new place and had a photo with Imre anyway !!! And no worries, one day Nagy comes back to where he belongs 💪

Edited by rafalgorka

47 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

@heywooduIt's funny because I almost missed ES getting the athletics back. I suppose Discovery let the product out on European market again because there seems to be lack of depth among the so-called US track & field stars. No offense but Kerley & Coleman ain't exactly Maurice Greene. Likewise women's sprints, Richardson isn't Marion Jones for better or worse. USA remains a powerhouse but they don't have star appeal athletes and the quiet & stoic McLaughlin isn't the best sell for being the face of the sport.

Yeah I had entirely missed it, until someone pointed it out to me just last week :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Josh said:

At least you actually have a stream that actually shows field events :p

CBC decides to show track events for the majority of the session (take for instance the 10,000m), and when the race actually starts to get interesting they switch over to the field events :facepalm:

Not impressed with CBC this year. They had a separate stream for every field event last year but nothing this year.

31 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Good to hear ...

Overall very poor/ideologically-driven "analysis".

1) People like Orban or Putin can pour insane amounts of money into sports (or military) because they aren't held as accountable as western politicians. Of course we all know that for example every american war (Vietnam, Afghanistan) since 1945 has been for financial reasons as well, so western politicians aren't much better. Would be interesting to know who earned money with building all the venues in Hungary ...

In the end Orban can claim that he did spend all the money for his people (bringing all those sporting events to Hungary), while in reality he transfered european tax payer money to his friends/family who built the venues. Hungarian people are happy and probably don't ask if the money wouldn't have been better spent on education or healthcare.

2) Obviously it helps that western companies invest in Hungary (because production there is cheaper).

3) Personally i think that western european tax payers have every right to be pissed about Orban using their money to enrich himself. Of course Orban isn't the only one, the same happens with development aid in countries like Ethiopia.

4) Hungary gets more than twice as much money as Bulgaria from the EU.

5) I think it also helps Hungary that they still get gas from Russia. Some people might ask why the EU accepts that Hungary constantly acts against its interests and why Hungary is still part of the EU, but of course kicking Hungary out would hurt western european companies that produce there, so this probably won't happen.

6) It is interesting to look at the role Orban played in connection with the planned Nabucco pipeline.

1: Rheinmetall built a factory in Hungary this year and another one is under constructon (military).

How much money goes back to Germany through your company!

No, the Hungarians are not happy with the underfunded education or healthcare!

2: Which is a big loss to the host countries!

3: Agree! And the tax payers have every right to know how much money is spent to the migrants! How many of them are able to work? 

4: Do you have source? Because in Hungary we have two opinions about this: Hungary gets nothing or Hungary gets much more than the other ex-eastern countries.

And please check this:

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?oldid=558089#Key_product_groups_imported_by_the_EU_from_Russia

5: could you show me an alternative gas source to Hungary? Because we have two pipes: one from Ukraine and one from Serbia. And these pipes supply Slovakia and partly Chechia!

And Hungary have two oil pipes: one from Ukraine and one from Croatia! Both countries rised brutally the transit fee! In the name of Solidarity!

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

(...) The main problems for german athletics are injuries, the transition from junior to senior level and the aversion to using performance enhancing drugs due to ideological reasons. The Netherlands and Norway have far less talent and far less elite athletes, but still normally win more medals because their main athletes (Ingebrigtsen, Warholm, Bol, Hassan) are basically always performing (no injuries). Germany might be the most doping-averse country in the world (maybe next to Japan), thanks to the GDR past. (...)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: