website statistics

Artistic Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

12th, 8th and 9th from the preliminary round make up the podium?

This sport has turned from set in stone to unpredictable.

Usually, China doesn't drop like that in judged sports but I don't follow artistic swimming.

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

3 hours ago, Quasit said:

12th, 8th and 9th from the preliminary round make up the podium?

This sport has turned from set in stone to unpredictable.

Usually, China doesn't drop like that in judged sports but I don't follow artistic swimming.

I think event he judges still are trying to figure out how the scoring works.

Before the score was only a disguise to the preference given to each team, disregarding any actual difference from one performance to other.

Now I’m not buying that a team that barely qualified for the final suddenly improved so much as to actually medal, while the other competitors dropped significantly.

It’s good that the system has changed, but way far from a fair shot to all.

12 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I think event he judges still are trying to figure out how the scoring works.

Before the score was only a disguise to the preference given to each team, disregarding any actual difference from one performance to other.

Now I’m not buying that a team that barely qualified for the final suddenly improved so much as to actually medal, while the other competitors dropped significantly.

It’s good that the system has changed, but way far from a fair shot to all.

From what the commentators have been saying, the actual changes make a lot of sense - routines made up of set number of elements, each element has a degree of difficulty score and if they fluff the element, they aren't awarded the degree of difficulty which results in reduced score.

Teams that qualified for the finals in 10-12 will have had multiple base marks applied - the minimum score for an element - rather than the full degree of difficulty. This means that they can lose 7 or 8 points from their DD so whilst the difference may look dramatic, it may just represent a tidier routine.

The problem at the moment is that there is no way for the spectators to make sense of what is going on as it is just presented as a score with no visibility of which elements have been penalised. I'd like to see on screen graphics which show which elements have been fully awarded, which are under investigation and which have been failed - similar to what they now show for figure skating. 

3 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I know there's no quotas on offer at this champs, but the acrobatic scores don't count for olympic qualification right - just technical and free?

Acro will be part of the Olympic routines in Paris, for the 1st time. So, they will count in the combined score for the OQ