website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, stepansevs said:

Guys, i am new here in logic of fencing Olympic qualification. Am i understand logic correct that top 4 countries will qualify a other Is based on best from continent? Sure i am asking due to chance of Czechia. So should i start to support Hungary to be better than Venezuela which will increase chance of Czechia to qualify as best of Europe?

And which world cups will count And how much points? Thanks

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Cheer for us to be in the Top4 with Italy and France, and you will have a pretty good chance to qualify, you "just" have to be 4th strongest European team in men's epee. But the fight for the European quota will be quite crazy if :ITA + :FRA + :HUN will all be in the WR Top4. You will have the advantage over the others by being higher on the current World Ranking (8th), so you will get easier opponents. You would actually qualify to Paris if the current WR would be used for the qualification. But it's far from over, there will be 4 more World Cup events. 4 out of the 5 WC results count for the ranking, the 5th worst World Cup placement of a team is excluded. 

Edited by Vektor

7 minutes ago, stepansevs said:

So should i start to support Hungary to be better than Venezuela which will increase chance of Czechia to qualify as best of Europe?

Yes, absolutely

WC points is regular points (multiplied by 1), so it is 64-52-40-36 etc. 

17 minutes ago, stepansevs said:

Guys, i am new here in logic of fencing Olympic qualification. Am i understand logic correct that top 4 countries will qualify a other Is based on best from continent? Sure i am asking due to chance of Czechia. So should i start to support Hungary to be better than Venezuela which will increase chance of Czechia to qualify as best of Europe?

And which world cups will count And how much points? Thanks

yes, it's the top 4 overall and then the best from every Continent (Asia and Oceania are to be considered a single entity, even if Oceania actually doesn't count anything in Fencing)

p.s. to qualify as a continental quota, a team must be within the top 16 of the world ranking

the tournaments counting for the Olympic qualification are the world championships (with major points), the continental championships (already contested...for Europe it was the EGs in Poland one month ago) and 5 selected world cup tournaments

in most weapons there are 4 world cup tournaments left (the season should start in November, the OQP will end next April), women's Foil has only 3 events left, if I remember well

the world cup points are 64 for a win, 52 for the second place, 40 for bronze, 36 for 4th place, 32/30/28/26 for places from 5th through 8th and 26 to 18 (down one by one) from 9th through 16th place, 8 for all the teams not making the top 16, 0 if you get black carded (DSQ) in a tournament and/or if you don't participate

:CZE (and all the other European teams) have to hope than the 3 European "big names" make the top 4 of the ranking at the end of the OQP to earn the continental spot...it highly likely that's gonna happen, therefore good luck for the battle vs :GER:ESP and :SUI (they're still the favourites to take the European quota imho, even if they missed out badly at the world champs -that's why they're so low in the standings)

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

@phelps What do you think, can :UKR  :ITA  :HUN  (+ France, duh) all qualify in women's sabre? A lot depends on :CAN here, they are currently 16th on the World ranking. 

I see :ITA really at risk...they have no talent and most times also a bad attitude (like yesterday vs :UKR)

and we have no very good yougsters to replace the core of this team, too

I think :FRA:HUN and :UKR are safe, even if one of them should end up out of the top 4 (which is unlikely, after this championship)

:ITA might benefit from the 3 European being in the top 4 and :CAN losing the top 16, but it's still too early to say