website statistics

Olympic articles and contributors on Wikipedia

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

You'd have to be very careful with any kind of "SportsWiki" minus a lot of rules. Wikipedia is already plagued with many sport-related stubs and half done articles because the only person working on them ran out of time or went on to the next project.

That's my case. I've created more Spanish Wikipedia articles than I can update regularly.

7 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That's the big issue we just don't have enough people working on sport articles given how massive it is. Take the Olympics for example, in a perfect world, all of the nation, sports and supporting pages would be created and completed at a high quality during the span of the Olympics. That's over 700 articles, not including the over 10,000 athlete pages which would be updated. It's no wonder people set up articles in advance.

Exactly. I remembered accomplishing a gargantuan task to create stub articles about the Olympians competing in Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 (some from London 2012) and edit NOC articles with the official table formatting for consistency after London 2012.

Lugnuts managed to create and edit over ten thousand articles within a span of a decade because of time constraints, stemming from the earliest days of the modern Games. Look how incredible and fastidious he truly was.

Now, I'm officially banned from Wikipedia by the community. Sportsfan 1234 does not want me to be part of or contribute to the Wikiproject Olympics (disagrees with my edits, putting negative remarks on the summary, and filing an administrative case for edit warring or incidents) and favors support from the admins for a nonsensical, prejudicial topic and community ban. Consequently, the Olympic-related articles will turn into a mess once again.

Best of luck to the unbanned or unblocked users. They will face the burden to fix the mess. This will not be the same when I started editing and formatting the articles around a decade ago.

Edited by MantaRaymarc

I have never edited something on Wikipedia, but I did try some edits in a famous movies' page once and got absolutely dragged by an editor, to the point I've never returned there ever since. So I understand the frustration.

Honestly, I would like to edit some Wiki pages of older Pan American Games (starting with Winnipeg '99 which was the first edition I followed), but knowing how things are I'd say I'm good never trying this...

4 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I have never edited something on Wikipedia, but I did try some edits in a famous movies' page once and got absolutely dragged by an editor, to the point I've never returned there ever since. So I understand the frustration.

Honestly, I would like to edit some Wiki pages of older Pan American Games (starting with Winnipeg '99 which was the first edition I followed), but knowing how things are I'd say I'm good never trying this...

You would feel the same sentiment when you edit past editions of the Pan American Games. A user named S with numbers (sorry if I explicitly state with an initial for safety reasons) will warn you about your editing privilege as he reverts yours with an unpleasant remark. Beware of him.