website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) If Martinenghi swims 0.01 slower, he doesn't medal.

2) In the men's 4 x 100 free relay Italy might as well have finished 4th (behind GB and the US)

3) In men's 200 free the 10th place was a huge success for De Tullio. You shouldn't forget that multiple faster guys flopped or didn't even compete (Märtens, Pan, Marchand).

4) In men's 200 fly you shouldn't forget that Milak didn't compete, otherwise Razzetti would have been 0.5 seconds away from the final.

5) In men's 200 IM multiple faster guys flopped or didn't compete (Wang, Qin, Kos).

6) Not sure if Franceschi would have made the final if McKeown, Pickrem, Wood and McIntosh would have competed/not been disqualified as well.

7) Poggio was unlucky, not sure how close he would have been to the final if Peaty and Imoudu would have competed (not to mention the two russian guys and Shymanovich who were missing as well).

Before this year i would have expected Italy to definitely to better, but in my opinion 4 medals is pretty much a perfect result for them given where they are at right now. I would give the following italian athletes a chance to medal next year:

Maybe Miressi (100 free)

Maybe Galossi (400/800 free)

Men's 4 x 100 free

Maybe men's medley relay

Martinenghi (100 breast)

Ceccon (100 back, maybe 100 free)

Quadarella (1500 free)

Pilato (100 breast)

I think 2-6 medals are realistic in my opinion (Quadarella, Ceccon, Martinenghi + X).

Too many if........ ( Many italian swimmers had a lot of health problems in last months buy i didnt mentioned because It doesnt matter , It matters only how they swim in the pool)

For next year 1 Gold with 5 total medals would be a very , very good result, 1 Gold with 4 medal  good , 3 medals with no Gold not good , 2 medals a complete disaster.

11 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

Too many if........ ( Many italian swimmers had a lot of health problems in last months buy i didnt mentioned because It doesnt matter , It matters only how they swim in the pool)

For next year 1 Gold with 5 total medals would be a very , very good result, 1 Gold with 4 medal  good , 3 medals with no Gold not good , 2 medals a complete disaster.

I think it was you who started with what-ifs ...

I agree that 5 medals would be very good next year, not sure if i agree that 2 medals would be a complete disaster. It might be a complete disaster based on what italian fans have gotten used to, but in my opinion Italy could win "only" 2 medals without underperforming. I don't know how much money Italy puts into swimming, so that might also have an influence on whether you consider 2 medals a disaster.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think it was you who started with what-ifs ...

I agree that 5 medals would be very good next year, not sure if i agree that 2 medals would be a complete disaster. It might be a complete disaster based on what italian fans have gotten used to, but in my opinion Italy could win "only" 2 medals without underperforming. I don't know how much money Italy puts into swimming, so that might also have an influence on whether you consider 2 medals a disaster.

:ITA put a lot of money into swimming...not improving the Tokyo 2020 final score (0/3/2) is definitely a nightmerish result

swimming only 2 PBs in the whole tournament this year, it's still a disaster despite all the medals...it means that all the team had a bad preparation

hopefully, next year we'll be a little luckier in terms of our best swimmers being healthy all season long and our coaches learn something from this year's mistakes