website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

There is a potential serious challenge to biathlon ahead.  The European Commission has throw around the idea of banning the use of led in outdoor sports.  Although not a massive part, lead is used in the bullets for biathlon.  The earliest this could be implemented would be 2022.

6 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

There is a potential serious challenge to biathlon ahead.  The European Commission has throw around the idea of banning the use of led in outdoor sports.  Although not a massive part, lead is used in the bullets for biathlon.  The earliest this could be implemented would be 2022.

Note that the ban on lead in sporting competitions can enter into force in 2022.

We will remind, in the spring of 2016 Eckhoff was diagnosed with asthma.

Add that the new biathlon season starts on November 30 in Ostersund, Sweden.

Uh, ok? It has absolutely nothing to do with what the entire article is about, but sure :d 

Much as I would not be surprised by this, I always wonder where you get these articles from...I mean, the Gal Post? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I saw the thing about Eckhoff laughed.  I think the article has been run through Google translator.  As to how I am made aware of them, I have a Google alert set up.  Lots of random stuff come across my e-mail, I only post those that seem to have any relevance at all.

No problem with lead - use laser shooting instead. I already shot with such a device (both - pistol, used in pentathlon, and rifle, on another occasion) - it's really simple, safe and probably cheaper (at least for the athletes, maybe not from the organizer's point of view).

Just now, Vojthas said:

No problem with lead - use laser shooting instead. I already shot with such a device (both - pistol, used in pentathlon, and rifle, on another occasion) - it's really simple, safe and probably cheaper (at least for the athletes, maybe not from the organizer's point of view).

Yeah those laser guns are fun. I got to try one at the LA World Cup a few years back.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I know it’s possible, but I think Pentathlon lost a bit of excitement since it went to laser.  First - no sound no drama!  OK, trivial, but more importantly, reloading manually is itself a mini-discipline which is lost with laser shooting.  I can think of biathlon races which have been won & lost by fumbled reloads by frozen fingers, and even in MP I can remember some real meltdowns in the air pistol days.

36 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

That's nice for the very youngest categories, but it's boring as shit if biathlon moves to laser rifles. Please no.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I know it’s possible, but I think Pentathlon lost a bit of excitement since it went to laser.  First - no sound no drama!  OK, trivial, but more importantly, reloading manually is itself a mini-discipline which is lost with laser shooting.  I can think of biathlon races which have been won & lost by fumbled reloads by frozen fingers, and even in MP I can remember some real meltdowns in the air pistol days.

Well, I'm the generation which doesn't know other pentathlon than the one with laser and this sound is quite characteristic (at least for me). About reloading manually - it is reloaded manually. In pentathlon you need to lower your shooting arm before doing that. In rifle it's a button-like... something you push with your thumb. At least in the version I used (it also had quite an easy aiming system). It all can be reconstructed for biathlon purposes, if needed.

7 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Well, I'm the generation which doesn't know other pentathlon than the one with laser and this sound is quite characteristic (at least for me). About reloading manually - it is reloaded manually. In pentathlon you need to lower your shooting arm before doing that. In rifle it's a button-like... something you push with your thumb. At least in the version I used (it also had quite an easy aiming system). It all can be reconstructed for biathlon purposes, if needed.

But how do you enter an extra bullet during the relays in laser rifle?

#banbestmen