website statistics

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

26 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Who do so few countries want to host indoor events. Poland, Serbia and the UK seem always be hosting them. 

I don't really know. Could be something venue related. I mean even Holland hosted their indoor nationals at the converted velodrome in Appeldorn. I suppose such makeshift arenas won't pass for a global championships. Not to mention some warm weather countries don't really build many indoor arenas for athletics? I believe France and Germany have many arenas like that but that is about it.

31 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

More details on the :BLR/:RUS ban:

The Good News! Your doping suspension has been lifted! :banana::cheer:

The Bad News! Your war suspension is beginning!  :nopompom:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/65055933

basically, 2 bad news at the same time...2 mistakes for the price of one :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I don't really know. Could be something venue related. I mean even Holland hosted their indoor nationals at the converted velodrome in Appeldorn. I suppose such makeshift arenas won't pass for a global championships. Not to mention some warm weather countries don't really build many indoor arenas for athletics? I believe France and Germany have many arenas like that but that is about it.

Plus as far as I remember, the Torun events are often more than excellent, in terms of organization as well as atmosphere.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

More details on the :BLR/:RUS ban:

The Good News! Your doping suspension has been lifted! :banana::cheer:

The Bad News! Your war suspension is beginning!  :nopompom:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/65055933

I feel like this was done to please certain people and not really out of a want to do it. Lifting the doping ban was always gonna be pointless as Russia were always gonna remain suspended for the foreseeable.  

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Plus as far as I remember, the Torun events are often more than excellent, in terms of organization as well as atmosphere.

It's kinda funny since Bydgoszcz has the big outdoor stadium which is basically the #1 facility for athletics in Poland (save for Chorzów for historical reasons) and Toruń has build the indoor athletics arena. Both cities are separated by like 50 km distance and they have a long-standing rivalry for exposure in the region :p