website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Fossali :ITA out in the first elimination heat after being the fastest qualifier. Speed climbing remains a game of margins.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Both :ITA with critical errors! :yikes:

What an implosion!

:GBR Fall's reaction was hilarious. He couldn't believe it 

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just can’t believe how empty many of the venues have been. I get this event isn’t a big deal in Europe, but you’d think the curiosity aspect would at least get some people to turnout. 

This is still one of the most bonkers things in the sporting world for me. I don't have a logical explanation. 

These should be the European Olympics. The continent with the biggest sporting depth by far, having it's own mini-Olympics. In times when you need to make something big to grab the headlines, the EG haven't been embraced neither from the NOCs, the sports governing bodies, nor the regular people.  

On the contrary even, these Governing bodies, who's sports are on life support from one OG to the next, have been actively sabotaging the EG. The only times they get attention is during the OG and instead of trying to grab another big opportunity to promote and elevate their sport, they discredit them and prefer to have their own backwater events somewhere somewhere. 

You can exclude team sports and tennis from the list, but there is no reason for the other ones to not have this as one of the most important events in the calendar, especially when it occurs every 4 years. 

Only in 2015, the lead up and the Games themselves felt like a big deal. Every year after that has been downhill, downhill, downhill... Heck, the nonsense Commonwealth Games get 5 times more attention and interest for competing against Samoa and Antigua & Barbuda.

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

This is still one of the most bonkers things in the sporting world for me. I don't have a logical explanation. 

These should be the European Olympics. The continent with the biggest sporting depth by far, having it's own mini-Olympics. In times when you need to make something big to grab the headlines, the EG haven't been embraced neither from the NOCs, the sports governing bodies, nor the regular people.  

On the contrary even, these Governing bodies, who's sports are on life support from one OG to the next, have been actively sabotaging the EG. The only times they get attention is during the OG and instead of trying to grab another big opportunity to promote and elevate their sport, they discredit them and prefer to have their own backwater events somewhere somewhere. 

You can exclude team sports and tennis from the list, but there is no reason for the other ones to not have this as one of the most important events in the calendar, especially when it occurs every 4 years. 

Only in 2015, the lead up and the Games themselves felt like a big deal. Every year after that has been downhill, downhill, downhill... Heck, the nonsense Commonwealth Games get 5 times more attention and interest for competing against Samoa and Antigua & Barbuda.

More than 5 times more interest to be honest. The BBC has the rights to both, and gives the whole shebang to it (not just when it's in the UK, Gold Coast 2018 got full coverage). Here they are only doing Athletics, and not acknowledging the games (exclusively calling it the "European Team Championships")

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold