website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023

rybak

I’m interested to see how the “Rest of the World” voted compared to Europe. Did :FIN win big there as well, or did another country capture the top spot. My family was rather split on opinions of :FIN

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, LDOG said:

30-70 in favor of public would be ideal. Enough to prevent clown acts from winning but also to not see a quality crowd favorite like Finland lose.

This is how I would do it:

Reduce the jury to Top5 per country. 1st country get 6 points, 2nd gets 4 points and so on.

Instead of announcing the jury votes per country, announce them at once at the start of the voting procedure. So we get the jury votes quickly. And then have the voting per country thing for the televotes. This way we can have the Rest of the World votes announced live. This may be less suspenseful than the current format, but it would also give more voice to the public, while also having some insight from a jury. 

9 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I mean, people can be pissed, but Ukraine was no doubt The Winner that year. Clearly by far the most popular song. This time Cha Cha Cha was by far the most beloved song, it was and should have been the winner by all accounts. 

This isn't like when Russia lost in 2016. Ukraine wasn't that much far behind them in the televote (38 points). Netherlands was also only 30 points behind Norway in the 2019 televote. 

The only time the winner was this much behind the televote winner is 2015. Yes, Sweden again. 87 points behind Italy in the televote. And now more than 100 points behind Finland.

And this kinda sucks. Italy should have won in 2015 and now Finland should have won in 2023. Sweden got two wins that don't feel earned, they were too much behind in the televote. 

It should be a more or less equal mix of jury and televote though..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I take my dad as an example: every year I heard about how this or that act is 'weird' or a bit of a 'freak show', but in the end every single year the TV is tuned on to the final for most if not the entire duration of the final including the announcement of the winner at 1am :p 

Same for me, but with the Oscars. Every year I watch all the nominated films and get excited, only for the ceremony to be the most boring 4 hours of the year :p Either way, there I am at 1am watching they announce the Best Picture winner, immediately regretting to stay this late as I have work the next day.

Just now, vinipereira said:

Same for me, but with the Oscars. Every year I watch all the nominated films and get excited, only for the ceremony to be the most boring 4 hours of the year :p Either way, there I am at 1am watching they announce the Best Picture winner, immediately regretting to stay this late as I have work the next day.

Which is why I'm happy Eurovision is always on a Saturday :d 

If it was on a Sunday, the viewing numbers would be cut in half, at least.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

54 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if next year the jury voting will be reduced to 33% instead of the current 50-50 split. It's bad for the contest when such a huge televote favorite loses and it's also bad when the jury voting makes the entire voting procedure quite boring. 

Especially when the "winner" is 99% legacy winner. This NEVER would have won otherwise.

#banbestmen

49 minutes ago, Bearas said:

I'm so glad :SWE won:

1) Best song this year

2) It wasn't an old man in a diaper

3) Now that Loreen also have two victories, we won't have to see Johnny Logan every year in Eurovision history recaps!!!!

4) Now that Sweden have 7 victories, we won't have to see all Irish winner every year in Eurovision history recaps!!! (additional bonus: no more jokes that Logan won thrice, out of which one was in drag (1992))

Johnny Logan did technically win 3 times since he was the writer of the 1992 winning song. 

Edited by OlympicIRL

:LAT was so close :(

EDIT: The song faired much better outside of Europe. The Rest of the World vote had it third in the first semifinal.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

EBU hasn’t released statistics on the Rest of the World, but people in different online communities have done the math.

:LAT:ARM:ESP are the biggest differences from the overall European vote.

:LAT got third in the first semifinal, but failed to qualify due to lower scores from the European public.

:ARM got third in the final. This may be due to an active diaspora vote, but I don’t know enough about voting trends to be certain. 

:ESP got two (2) of their (5) points in the televote from the rest of the world (Portugal gave them the other three.)

:ISR was apparently the winner of the Rest of the World vote in the final. :FIN (2nd), :SWE (4th), :ALB (5th) are supposedly the rest of the top five.