website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

1 minute ago, orangeman said:

Ah yes, I have found those rules as well.  I was going off the commentary today when I was watching.  The announcer said the top four compete for medals while the other compete for placings.  When Aus fell to 5th she said they won't be able to get a medal.  So I was going on that.  Thanks for the clarification.  

I know - i think that announcer was wrong because she repeatedly said that but I only noticed during the mens race.

6 minutes ago, james89 said:

I know - i think that announcer was wrong because she repeatedly said that but I only noticed during the mens race.

It's quite confusing and Byzantinian.  Why not do it like the speed skating pursuit in the WOG, 1vs8, etc.  until you get a winner?  

Edit: Looking back at the results now, I remember Canada facing Aus and then NZ for the bronze in 2016.  It makes sense now.  

20 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Overall no medals for Canada on Day 10, the first time since Day 1, but the 1-0 victory against the United States in women's football still made the day a success.

Day 11 will likely be another quiet day with our best chance being in athletics (women's hammer throw). There's a chance in artistic gymnastics (women's balance beam) and maybe track cycling (men's and women's team pursuit) if they can recover from a bad qualification round.

Also two very important beach volleyball games.  And de Grasse starts his journey for 200m gold.  

27 minutes ago, james89 said:

I looked more into this - the men's and the women's race have the same rules - "The remaining six teams will be ranked by their times in the First Round and will be paired as follows: The two fastest teams ride the final for the bronze medal. The next two fastest teams ride the final for 5th and 6th places. The last two teams ride the final for 7th and 8th places."

Which means both the mens and womens team could win bronze - it will be a tough ask but its possible so I'm going with that.

Well hope dies last.  So anything is possible.:d

26 minutes ago, james89 said:

I opted to catch up on sleep than watch the full soccer game which may have been a mistake but I am so happy. Luckily the final is at a perfectly decent time! 

That's a great result for Matt Hughes! 

Same, but I thought if I watched the game they would lose lmao. 

Idk whether to watch the gold medal match now.

Just now, orangeman said:

Yup, didn't want to say it to jinx it, but it'll guarantee a silver or gold.  But we'll wait and see.  

Pavan and Humana look really good, they beat the AUstralians in the gold medal match at the Commonwealth Games.

Bansley/Wilkerson played Latvia this past June, and lost, in 3 sets, so it should be a close game, and perhaps they can win this time.