website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker

Interesting weekend for thoughts of Daniel Wiffen's medal hopes.

He must have been disappointed with 2 3rd places in Italy. His 14:53 time for 1,500m was 7 secs of Florian Wellbrock. Obviously we don't know where he is on his Paris training schedule but work to do. Bobby Finke won the US trials in 14:40 so confirms his status as gold medal favourite. Sam Short felt "ill" at the Australian trials and didn't swim the 1,500m. He qualified at 800m and neither of the top 2 got the Australian standard so if he's fit, he'll be in the 1,500m for Paris. No sign of Hafnoui, but he hasn't officially pulled out yet

Have to hope that Wiffen is in a heavy training block. Though he has a history of trying out different tactics in races as well, so it could have been something like that. Or he could just be struggling for form, but hopefully not.

I see Gracenote has upped our medal count to *nine* medals - three boxing, three rowing, one swimming, one gymnastics and one golf, including golds for the lightweight rowers and McClenaghan. Though, if Ian O'Riordan's report is correct, they have given us a medal for a boxer who hasn't even qualified! Safe to say I'd still be happy with six and one gold.

Nicola Tuthill win's the women's hammer title at the National Championships with a decent throw of 68.54m. By my calculations, that worth 1170 points in the Road to Paris rankings which would provisionally move her up from 31st to 29th on the rankings list. Still results to come from other national champs across the globe but this is looking promising :)

Tuthill is safe. Barr didn’t improve at all and is on the bubble

Becker improves her score but not her position and 4/5 below her could massively improve their score this weekend. I think she’ll miss out