website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey NHL 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

and apparently also 12 scored goals are the new AHL record for a U20 defencer. Nice rookie season Šimon, very well done :d

Edited by hckošice

6 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

it's the NHL playoffs. Anything can happen, you never know. Hopefully we'll see a few upsets in the first round.

Everyone thought the 2018-19 were a clear favourite in the 1st round before they got swept by the Blue Jackets.

yeah...and the Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012 as the no.16 seed...:rolleyes::bowdown::cheer:

but those big upsets come once every while...

we can't reasonably say that Florida is going to kick the Bruins out, although it could well happen...'cause it's the NHL...:d

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

How many games they play in AHL if 34 points is a record that stood almost 50 years? Unless all the good defencemen skipped playing full-time down there?

it's because of the rules...

Junior (U20) players must be assigned to the AHL team from the beginning of the season, otherwise those making the NHL in the early weeks, once they're released must go back to the Junior leagues or go playing in Europe.

there are not many junior defencemen playing in the AHL...and they're still boys in a league of grown men, which means that normally they don't get so much playing time early in the season and don't have chances to play the power play (a good way to increase the personal stats).

the summary of all that is simple...if you're Erik Karlsson or Roman Josi or Cale Makar, you don't go down to the AHL...if you're not one of those players, it's unlikely you get many points as a defender (by the way, they've played 72 games and the league average is 3 goals/game for the best teams...it's not easy to score a lot of points down there).

41 minutes ago, hckošice said:

U19 defencemen :p

I noticed that part ;) and I was looking for an answer which @phelpsprovided. I don't have knowledge if U-21 defenders have historically being brought up to NHL or toiled around in farm systems like AHL. I checked if Paul Coffey was playing in AHL and he didn't as he was in NHL in age 19 season already hence my original assumption :p

• 2 weeks later...