website statistics

Ice Hockey 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Important info : IIHF council decided that countries that were not able to participate this year due of covid travel issues will not lost their seeding and will not be relegated.

Also :RUS and :BLR will not be allowed to copete even next year, but since lower division will be adjusted to have 6 teams, many changes were required and basically relegated teams will play again in their respective divisions like this year - yeah Total Chaos :p

Adjustments in Division I and below

With Russia and Belarus not able to play in the 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program, it was decided to fill up tournaments to the regular number of teams, which is usually six in the groups below the top division.

For the men’s categories that means that teams will move up in the following order to reach the number of teams beside the teams regularly promoted: 1) last-ranked team that was originally relegated, 2) runner-up of the lower division. In the women’s categories the move usually involves one team being the last-ranked team originally relegated that will stay up.

The 2023 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A will thus be played with Italy, Great Britain, Lithuania, Korea, Poland and Romania; Group B with Japan, Ukraine, Estonia, China, Serbia and the Netherlands.

Teams that were not able to participate in the 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship program due to Covid-19 remain their seeding position in the program. However, for 2023 it is planned that member national associations who do not fulfil their participation commitment will be dealt with according to the regular procedure as by the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws.

This is how it should look (remember the Division III B and Division IV can be split into 4 and 4 teams, so :MAS and :SGP will be very likey put back to division four

Elite:
Austria
Canada
Czechia
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Hungary
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Norway
Slovenia
Slovakia
Sweden
Switzerland
United States

Russia and Belarus still suspended.

Division IA:
Great Britain (host)
Italy
Korea
Lithuania
Poland
Romania

Division IB:
China
Estonia (host)
Japan
Netherlands
Serbia
Ukraine

Division IIA:
Australia
Croatia
Georgia
Iceland
Israel
Spain (host)

Division IIB:
Belgium
Bulgaria
Mexico
New Zealand
Turkey (host)
UAE

Division IIIA:
Chinese Taipei
Korea DPR
Luxembourg
South Africa (host)
Thailand
Turkmenistan

Division IIIB:
Bosnia-Herzegovina (host)
Hong Kong
Iran
Kyrgyzstan
Malaysia  (Still possible to be put to Division IV)
Singapore  (Still possible to be put to Division IV)

Division IV:
Kuwait (host)
Philippines

• 3 weeks later...

Head coach Craig Ramsay will continue with :SVK :clap: Today he signed for another year with automatical renewal for upcoming season if both sides satisfied !

as he said:

"I could not say NO. My wife, children and my close family were not surprised with my decision, they knew I could not refuse. I couldn't, I didn't reach the point where I could end my mission in Slovak hockey yet. I want to continue what we started"

• 3 weeks later...

Adam Sýkora is the first pick of this year Import Draft :hyper: Picked by Medicine Hat Tigers. https://chl.ca/article/64-players-selected-2022-chl-import-draft

Followed by another Slovak, Martin Mišiak seleced by Saginaw Spirit. 3rd was Czech Jiří Kulich.

In total 11 Slovak kids were selected, The biggest amount in recent years. Overal 64 players were selected representing 13 different countries, the biggest number being 23 players from Czechia.

Fun fact the Top 10 was entirely made of Slovak and Czech Players, never happened before (obviously the lack of Russian picks has a lot to do with that) and the first 2 non-CZE/SVK players selected were 2 Italians @phelps Tommaso De Luca at 13th place and Tommy Purdeler at 17th and 1 Latvian.

First Swiss selected 23rd, First Finn 35th and First Swedish 39th, First German at 59th !!!

Bulgaria with first ever selected player @Federer91

Every year the 60 Canadian Junior Clubs of the WHL, QMJHL and OHL have the right to draft 2 Non-North American players

The CHL Import Draft 2022 Link

https://chl.ca/draft

Drafted Slovaks in the CHL Import Draft 2022:

1. Adam SÝKORA (Medicine Hat)

2. Martin MIŠIAK (Saginaw)

5. Ondrej MOLNÁR (Erie Otters)

8. Jakub CHROMIAK (Sudbury)

10. Samuel HONZEK (Vancouver Giants)

12. Žigmund ZÖLD (Val-d´Or)

15. Roman KUKUMBERG (Chicoutimi)

31. Alex ČIERNIK (Lethbridge)

54. František RIDZOŇ (Quebec)

58. Alex ŠOTEK (Hamilton)

68. Dalibor DVORSKÝ (Sudbury)

nice to read that there are still a few Italian guys playing hockey...:lol:

tbh, I don't know anything about those 2...but I hope that they can have some good future ahead of them (and I hope they try the North-American experience, which is still a big if, knowing our youngsters)...

Ivan Fedotov :RUS also drafted, but not in the same way.

A Russian ice hockey star who signed a million-dollar contract with an American team was rounded up by Russian plain-clothes policemen and taken to an army enlistment office yesterday before he's expected to be sent to fight in Ukraine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10975571/Russian-ice-hockey-star-signed-play-forcibly-drafted-Putins-army.html

• 5 weeks later...

I know we already had the Division III junior worlds earlier this week, but from today things get a lot more serious...

it's time for the first top tier tournament of the season, the Hlinka-Gretky Cup...

this year, all the games are played in :CAN Red Deer, Alberta...

this is the official website with all the schedules, score and infos:

https://www.hlinkagretzkycup.ca/en-ca

Czech Republic and Finland are playing the opening match right now (they're playing the OT, after the 3-3 tie in regulation)...

unfortunately, no stream is available for this game...

JOJ Sport is going to show live all the Slovak NT matches, TSN has a couple of games/day in Canada (and maybe they'll be available also to the international audience without a VPN at least ondemand -like the Junior Worlds around Christmas in the past)...

unfortunately, I haven't found any other worldswide available TV network/stream for this tournament...

2022 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup (:CAN Red Deer, Alberta)

Day #1 Results

Group A

Canada b. Switzerland  14-0 (8-0, 4-0, 2-0)

Group B

Czech Republic b. Finland  4-3 SO (1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 0-0, 1-0)

USA b. Germany  8-1 (2-0, 3-1, 3-0)

Standings

Group A

Canada,  3 pts (1 GP, 14 GF, 0 GA, +14 GD)

Slovakia,  0 pts (0 GP, 0 GF, 0 GA, 0 GD)

Sweden,  0 pts (0 GP, 0 GF, 0 GA, 0 GD)

Switzerland,  0 pts (1 GP, 0 GF, 14 GA, -14 GD)

Group B

USA,  3 pts (1 GP, 14 GF, 0 GA, +7 GD)

Czech Republic,  2 pts (1 GP, 4 GF, 3 GA, +1 GD)

Finland,  1 pt (1 GP, 3 GF, 4 GA, -1 GD)

Germany,  0 pts (1 GP, 0 GF, 14 GA, -7 GD)