website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread

OlympicIRL

59 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Could have selected him for TOISC as a sort of tribute if I hadn't made my choice earlier, but to be fair, I don't really think I know anything other than 'Jump' and that one is, in my opinion, just alright :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Mohammad Reza Shajarian probably the biggest singer in the long history Iran passed away yesterday from cancer. :cry: he revived the Persian traditional music, you wouldn't expect his style to be popular for the new generations (whom prefer cheap and nonsense music) but he was still extremely popular, if it wasn't for Covid we could see millions in his funeral, but even Covid didn't stop so many.

he was also popular for his humanitarian activities, which made him "unpopular" for the hardliners.

this is one of his most famous works, "Morghe Sahar" or "Dawn Bird"

@MHSN Interesting, reminds me more of Kazakh/Turkmen/Kyrgyz music I’ve heard than of Arabic music.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

52 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@MHSN Interesting, reminds me more of Kazakh/Turkmen/Kyrgyz music I’ve heard than of Arabic music.

why that's surprising ? this is traditional music (not much active these days except for singers like him and his son) the poem/lyrics itself belongs to 120 years ago. some/most of those central Asian countries used to be a part of the bigger Persian empire. obviously you should see the influence in their culture.

I'm not much familiar with Arabic music but I think it mostly belongs to Lebanon and North African countries. not related to Iran at all.

57 minutes ago, MHSN said:

why that's surprising ? this is traditional music (not much active these days except for singers like him and his son) the poem/lyrics itself belongs to 120 years ago. some/most of those central Asian countries used to be a part of the bigger Persian empire. obviously you should see the influence in their culture.

I'm not much familiar with Arabic music but I think it mostly belongs to Lebanon and North African countries. not related to Iran at all.

I’m familiar with the general history of the region, for some reason I just expected traditional Persian music to be more similar to traditional Arabic music. 

I love music like that as an art form, but I do see why kids might be more into modern music.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...