website statistics

Speed Skating 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Insane 1:12.83 for Jutta Leerdam in the 1st 1000m at the Dutch sprint championships in Heerenveen today (1st sub-1:13 there ever), holy moly :bowdown: 

More on day 1 of the allround and sprint championships later, but thought this was worth a mention for our Italian buddy @phelps :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Insane 1:12.83 for Jutta Leerdam in the 1st 1000m at the Dutch sprint championships in Heerenveen today (1st sub-1:13 there ever), holy moly :bowdown: 

More on day 1 of the allround and sprint championships later, but thought this was worth a mention for our Italian buddy @phelps :p 

yeah, I saw that...;)

she's so lovely...:wub:

but she's also so good doing her job! :bowdown:

21 hours ago, heywoodu said:

and Today, the insane clocking was even improved a little, down to 1.12.80 :yikes: :bowdown:

Leerdam totally dominated the Sprint Championship ahead of Femke Kok.

meanwhile, the men's Sprint tournament was much more interesting.

in the end, it was Hein Otterspeer to win it all, ahead of Merijn Scheperkamp and Kai Verbij.

Kjeld Nuis and Thomas Krol were only 5th and 6th respectively.

the women's Allround tournament was won with comfortable margin by Antoinette De Jong (I refuse to use her married name) thanks to her superiority in the shorter distances (Today she skated a very, very impressive Track Record of 1.52.95 in the 1500m).

second was Marijke Groenewoud, the others came after the music stopped.

the men's Allround tournament was a one-man show by Patrick Roest, who dominated all the 4 races...and he did it with quite some margin.

in the end, Beau Snellink came second thanks to his new PBs in the longer distances, but the difference between him and Roest is quite embarassing.

Marcel Bosker and Kars Jansman ended up in 3rd and 4th place respectively.

All infos and Results, here:

https://liveresults.schaatsen.nl/home

Edited by phelps

28 minutes ago, phelps said:

by Antoinette De Jong (I refuse to use her married name)

What a statement, that'll teach her :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Fantastic 10k by Snellink by the way, but there was just no stopping Roest in this shape, at all. Last ones to win all four distances were Sven Kramer in 2008 and Kees Verkerk in 1966. And it's not because of Snellink's level...that was definitely excellent.

For me the most impressive wins of these days were Leerdam's 1000m's, Roest's 10k and Rijpma-De Jong's 1500m. Snellink might have impressed me the most though.

Edited by heywoodu

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What a statement, that'll teach her :p 

naaa...it's as simple as it might look...I just don't remember it without looking at the results' list :lol: :facepalm:

however, it's also true that I don't like the women changing their name through their career because of marriage...if they're already known with their original family name, just keep it for the entire career...:pope:

Edited by phelps

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

naaa...it's as simple as it might look...I just don't remember it without looking at the results' list :lol: :facepalm:

however, it's also true that I don't like the women changing their name through their career because of marriage...if they're already known with their original family name, just keep it for the entire career...:pope:

Luckily she didn't really change her name. She's not officially known as Antoinette Rijpma now, De Jong is still just as much in her name, so it's nearly impossible to forget who she is :p 

More like Maria Riesch and Lara Gut becoming Maria Höfl-Riesch and Lara Gut-Behrami (and so very obviously the same two people, no need to remember anything new), instead of Lindsey Kildow becoming Lindsey Vonn :p 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Luckily she didn't really change her name. She's not officially known as Antoinette Rijpma now, De Jong is still just as much in her name, so it's nearly impossible to forget who she is :p 

More like Maria Riesch and Lara Gut becoming Maria Höfl-Riesch and Lara Gut-Behrami (and so very obviously the same two people, no need to remember anything new), instead of Lindsey Kildow becoming Lindsey Vonn :p 

yeah, keeping both names is acceptable...but still, most times it's double the fatigue to remember both of them...

and since I'm the laziest man on earth, I always use only the most known (to me) of those names...:lol:

• 1 month later...

there's some life in the Italian Speedskating, after all!

:ITA Serena Pergher is the new Junior World Champion of the women's 500m. :cheer:

earlier Today, in :GER Inzell, she won the World race in 38.61 (PB), ahead of :NED Angel Daleman (38.93, PB) and  :KAZ Alina Dauranova (39.10).

Edited by phelps

more results from the Junior Worlds

women's 1500m, Gold Medal to :NED Angel Daleman, who destroyed the field in 1.58.81.

Silver to :NED Jade Groenewoud in 2.00.04; Bronze to :USA Greta Myers in 2.00.56.

men's 500m, Gold to :USA Jordan Stolz in 34.95, just a fraction ahead of :JPN Issa Gunji in 34.97.

Bronze to :NED Tim Prins in 35.73.

men's 1500m, Gold once again to :USA Jordan Stolz in 1.45.17.

in this case, his rivals are way behind...Silver went to :JPN Kotaro Kasahara in 1.47.14; Bronze to :KOR Yang Ho Jun in 1.47.90.

:NED Daleman and :USA Stolz are also leading with more than comfortable margin the All-Around competition in their respective gender (can I still write the word "gender"? :mumble: :mad: :whistle:).

Edited by phelps