website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

59 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The Olympics will account for 100% of the value this time? I thought it would be 75%?

Regardless assuming your scenario happens, Russia will have 2910 points which going by the 2022 Olympics, would put them on the outside.

Yes my bad, you are right it is 75% value for the Olympics (as a a tournament from 1 year back)

Also another mistake I made, the 2020 points (there were no WCh that year due pandemic) are not based from the 2019 WCh (those results will not be counted anymore) but from the positions of the countries in the 2020 IIHF ranking (will have the lowest 25% value)

:surprise:

Not sure what this actually means "through August" :mumble:

9 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Is Russia (OAR) out of the paralympics?

Not yet. The meeting is on Wednesday. The BBC said yesterday the IPC believe they cannot legally expel them but who knows what they will decide. I can see the IPC decking to expel them as then if CAS overturn it they can say we tried blame CAS. CAS’s future is at stake if they make too many unpopular decisions on this crisis.

My opinion is sports should not be conflicted with politics. It is fair they cancelled all competitions, especially due to safety reasons. But it is definitely not right to punish athletes, who do not have nothing with political actions of their "leader". It is plain stupid and unfair.

Under the current conditions, this decision would have an impact on the following events:

• 2022 IIHF Continental Cup (4-6 March 2022)

-Belarus club team HK Gomel would not participate

• 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship (21 April-01 May 2022)

-Russia and Belarus men’s U18 teams would not participate

• 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship (13-29 May 2022)

-ROC and Belarus men’s national teams would not participate

• 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s Word Championship (Dates TBB)

-Russia women’s U18 national team would not participate

• 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship (Dates TBD)

-Russia men’s U20 national teams would not participate

• 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship (26 August-4 September 2022)

-ROC women’s national team would not participate

Any potential sportive impact of the Council decision on tournament seeding and promotion/relegation will be announced in the coming weeks.

The 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship was scheduled to take place from 26 December 2022 to 5 January 2023. The IIHF will initiate discussions in the coming months to find a new host for the event.

17 minutes ago, justony said:

My opinion is sports should not be conflicted with politics. It is fair they cancelled all competitions, especially due to safety reasons. But it is definitely not right to punish athletes, who do not have nothing with political actions of their "leader". It is plain stupid and unfair.

There's really no way to disconnect those two, sadly. Russia have been using sports for political purpose quite a lot.

Personally I wouldn't mind Russian athletes participating as long as they unconditionally go against the invasion and show up without anything russian. Meanwhile people like Karjakin and Viatjeslav Barkov should be kept far away from international events.

But also, I do think the IOC has a decent point. The invasion keeps Ukrainian athletes away as their country is under attack. Then let's keep the attacking nations away as well.