website statistics

Day 1 (February 5th, 2022)

Just now, orangeman said:

I hear that.  Kingsbury did look conservative on his last run, but it was much cleaner than anyone else.  Turns are supposed to be 40% of the score, and his were 100% better.  Jumps were cleaner, higher and equal or more difficult.  The only thing Wallberg was better at was time (20%).  

But I want to stress that Horishima being on the podium is a complete joke.  That was a terrible run in almost every way.  

60%, not 40.

They do grade on a curve when it comes to how aggressive you are - the turn judges want to see aggressive and clean turns, not just clean turns. The old Jean-Luc Brassard ski the slowest time of the finals and win gold strategy doesn't work anymore.

17 minutes ago, NearPup said:

60%, not 40.

They do grade on a curve when it comes to how aggressive you are - the turn judges want to see aggressive and clean turns, not just clean turns. The old Jean-Luc Brassard ski the slowest time of the finals and win gold strategy doesn't work anymore.

Right, 60%, which makes the decision even less credible.  

Whatever, moguls judges wanted a new star, they birthed one tonight.  I guess Kingsbury and Canada got boring.  

4 minutes ago, Surlympics said:

What just happened ?

Unfortunately the penalty against Canada is both correct and super blatant.

This is salvaged from being an unmitigated disaster because Weidemann got her expected bronze medal and the mixed doubles team didn’t implode.

Kingsbury losing gold because of a strategy error is going to haunt me for years.

Well, my prediction for Day 1 was one gold, potentially 2 other medals.  We ended up with a silver and bronze, so not great, not bad.  

In short track, if the Netherlands and Korea would have made it further it wouldn't have built up the expectations.  But in that final, Canada should have definitely medaled.  They have a record of not being able to stay on their feet in the Olympics, so I'm hoping this is not a sign of what's to come.  

Moguls was bullshit, I've established my thoughts on that. 

Speed Skating was a success.

Hockey, job done.

Curling, looked terrible against an unstoppable Swedish team.  Must have been how the Finland felt against Canada in hockey.  Looked better against the USA, need to finish out with wins to make playoffs.  Look out for Italy, apparently.

Luge/Biathlon/X-Country/Ski Jumping, as expected.  

Tomorrow has a couple of chances as well, but actually kind of a slow day for Canada.  

Anyway, now I can stop and maybe organize myself from last night.