website statistics

Athletics Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

22 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

To be fair, the quota limit was 2005, so "only" some 350 overboard. :p

#banbestmen

il y a 6 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Tremendous job indeed, I prefer 2377 athletes than 1725 :d 

I'll much prefer these quotas were spent on smaller sports that have much less quotas, or even better on new sports !

Besides, IAAF achieved that whithout the Russians. Next stop 2500 athletes ?

Heats and preliminary rounds of the 100m (and in swimming the 50/100 freestyle) are some of my favourite events, since it's often the only chance you get to see the athletes from the tiny nations compete :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Heats and preliminary rounds of the 100m (and in swimming the 50/100 freestyle) are some of my favourite events, since it's often the only chance you get to see the athletes from the tiny nations compete :cheer:

Exactly. :) Though sometimes it's dissapointing that so many of those nations always have only 100m runners. It's nice to see when someone tries something else too (for example Solomon Islands opted for two 5000m runners this time and that's cool :d).

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Exactly. :) Though sometimes it's dissapointing that so many of those nations always have only 100m runners. It's nice to see when someone tries something else too (for example Solomon Islands opted for two 5000m runners this time and that's cool :d).

I absolutely agree, but since they are mostly in the 100m, those series are by far my favourite series/heats of any event at the Olympics :d 

I mean, the Bolt's and Gatlin's and Merritt's and Van Niekerk's, we see them in the regular season plenty of times (well with the exception of Bolt I guess, but you know what I mean). The fun stuff is seeing athletes of all kinds of tiny nations struggle to post a time that would give them a chance to reach the women's quarter-finals :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 1 minuto, heywoodu said:

I absolutely agree, but since they are mostly in the 100m, those series are by far my favourite series/heats of any event at the Olympics :d 

I mean, the Bolt's and Gatlin's and Merritt's and Van Niekerk's, we see them in the regular season plenty of times (well with the exception of Bolt I guess, but you know what I mean). The fun stuff is seeing athletes of all kinds of tiny nations struggle to post a time that would give them a chance to reach the women's quarter-finals :bowdown:

I don't find the charm in that, being embarassed in front on millions is not something nice.

Though it's natural that most countries want universality places in 100m, since the short time of the event makes it less embarassing for them. No country wants to have an Eric the eel after all.

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I don't find the charm in that, being embarassed in front on millions is not something nice.

Though it's natural that most countries want universality places in 100m, since the short time of the event makes it less embarassing for them. No country wants to have an Eric the eel after all.

That depends on how you define being embarrassed. I honestly don't think an athlete of let's say Tuvalu will feel embarrassed, since the goal is to be at the Olympics, not to win a medal and post blistering times. 

Of course I know the opinions on it are very different, but for me one of the big charms of the Olympics (and world championships in athletics/swimming) is the extremely rare chance to see athletes from all those nations you don't normally see :)

Especially when you give them a search on Google, they often have a way more interesting backstory than the superstars that everyone knows and who think they are even more awesome than they actually are. 

Edited by heywoodu