website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2018 - 2019 Discussion Thread

dcro

From the article about the Cross Country committee: the FIS is finally changing the terminology "ladies" to "women". About time (ladies is the female version of "gentlemen", not "men", always found it a bit annoying that they had men's and ladies' events).

Edited by NearPup

19 minutes ago, Nate River said:

From the article about the Cross Country committee: the FIS is finally changing the terminology "ladies" to "women". About time (ladies is the female version of "gentlemen", not "men", always found it a bit annoying that they had men's and ladies' events).

Can I get a place in this committee? This sounds like rather easy money :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

The world is going to be a better place now.

There's also this one.

Editorial changes – ladies to women, he/she to gender neutral expressions

The them and they of the FIS Committee have earned their money for the year.

I do wonder what this one means:

The nominations for technical delegates for the upcoming seasons are gender equal. This is not only due to the wish to implement more female experts in official positions but also because of the level of competence of the female applicants.

Surely they're not specifically going to do everything to have a 50/50 balance, but they'll simply look at whoever is the best person for the position, regardless of being male/female/anything else?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh fuck me.

World Cup calendar 2019/2020

- Minor changes of the World Cup calendar include: sprint F in Planica, Individual C competitions in Nove Mesto (replacing relay) with pursuit C on the second day.

- Program Ski Tour 2020 finalized

- Québec city/Minneapolis Sprint Tour finalized (Sprint C, sprint F, Sprint F – 50 World Cup points per race

- In the final version of the 2019/20 World Cup calendar the Committee agreed on including the first ever Cross-Country mixed relay race as the final World Cup race in Canmore (CAN) in 2020. The race format is defined with 4x5km C/F.

And 'boooo!' to replacing yet another relay.

The worst change in my opinion though:

The final race of the Tour de Ski – the famous Alpe Cermis climb – will be held in a mass start format.

What the hell. The cool thing about the final Alpe Cermis climb, apart from the climb itself, is that whoever finishes first wins the Tour de Ski. Easy. Why complicate things?

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What the hell. The cool thing about the final Alpe Cermis climb, apart from the climb itself, is that whoever finishes first wins the Tour de Ski. Easy. Why complicate things?

Yeah, now it's going to be way harder to see who are battling for what position, what difference is needed etc. I know they probably want a head-2-head fight and not only single people climbing the hill, with the intervals between them, but it really gives away the fight to chase your opponent.. 

Edited by Federer91

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yeah, now it's going to be way harder to see who are battling for what position, what difference is needed etc. I know they probably want a head-2-head fight and not only single people climbing the hill, with the intervals between them, but it really gives away the fight to chase your opponent.. 

Those single people closing in on each other or moving away from each other was what made it so epic in my opinion. Pretty much the only XC race where you can so clearly see the suffering of one person at a time.

Plus it was literally the only pursuit on the entire calendar I liked in pursuit format :lol: