website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Also so many of Georgiadou's rivals and also other notable fencers from other weapons commented on the posts, and many people are saying FIE should give her a wildcard, and that the system is unfair, and I approximately half of these people asking for wildcards are not even Greeks, so it's not just the case of "biased fans"

many great sailors / judokas and other athletes could say something like this, because has only 1 place per NOC.

Canoeing Slalom. Alexander Slafkovský never won an Olympic medal, because he never did qualify to the games losing 4 times to Michal Martikán and twice to Matej Beňuš in the internal qualification since 2008 to 2024 Olympics only because this idiotic rule of 1 boat per nation..

Slafkovský is a multiple world champion, European Champion, World Cup winner etc etc etc... but never was and will never be an Olympian

Edited by hckošice

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Now that you mention it there are probably a few other examples in sports like wrestling, judo, etc. where only 1 athlete per NOC is allowed no matter what (unlike fencing where you can either have 1 or 3 but not 2...)

IT’s what happened to us in the iqfoil women with last year’s all Israeli podium 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:32 PM, phelps said:

no, AIN fencers won't get wild cards, but some of them will qualify through the Continental qualifiers

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they get 4 places out of 6 at that tournament (still, we have to see who's gonna compete for them)

Latst news on this - Ilgar Mamedov said that he is not a head of "homeless team", so no russian fencers at Olympic qualifier would not be allowed by him.

Thus according to him AINs from russia will miss last chance for Olympic qualification.

Another news :UKR announced squad for Olympic qualifier:

- Reizlin (men`s epee)

- Poloziuk (women`s foil)

- Yagodka (men`s sabre)

- Yunes (men`s foil)

Method of selection - highest ranked athlete right now. 

I would say Poloziuk has the best chances. Reizlin is 39 yo. I would like to see someone from the next generation.

Edited by avlar