website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

17 minutes ago, dodge said:

You can sub one in, but you can't go over the quota. 

Exactly - I think Italy took advantage of the rule in Tokyo with Ganna competing in both time trial and team pursuit. Obviously it only really works if you have qualified track athletes in one of the endurance events - can't see many track sprinters fancying the prospect of 158km road race though. 

It wouldn't surprise me if GB did something similar in Paris - whilst I think Tarling is a cert for the time trial, I could see him being subbed out of the road race in favour of one of the team pursuiters (although selectors might not want to jeopardise potential track medals) 

10 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

This can be used tactically. In Tokyo, one of our road quotas was used to take an extra man for the team sprint and one of our two Madison riders took part in the road race. He did not finish the race IIRC.

Yeah - isn't there a rule that if you are entered into an event you have to start that event in order to be allowed to start in another event? I seem to recall there used to be a lot of track athletes who were down to double up and would line up for their first event but then pull up after the first couple of laps. 

Brazil announced today that they have a men's road race quota, unexpectedly. Is that because of reallocation and is that next to the Pan American championships ticket?

99% sure Nicolas Sessler will get it for Brazil. Which is definitely cool for him (old mountainbike teammate of Bruna, so that's cool too), but kind of shows the flaw of the whole ranking stuff perfectly, since Vinicius Rangel is the only Brazilian actually riding at the top level.....but that leaves him with fewer points, because it's harder to get good results in World Tour races than in .1 races :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Brazil announced today that they have a men's road race quota, unexpectedly. Is that because of reallocation and is that next to the Pan American championships ticket?

99% sure Nicolas Sessler will get it for Brazil. Which is definitely cool for him (old mountainbike teammate of Bruna, so that's cool too), but kind of shows the flaw of the whole ranking stuff perfectly, since Vinicius Rangel is the only Brazilian actually riding at the top level.....but that leaves him with fewer points, because it's harder to get good results in World Tour races than in .1 races :p 

Yeah, the men's quota for Brazil is trhough reallocation from Panamerican Championship.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yeah - isn't there a rule that if you are entered into an event you have to start that event in order to be allowed to start in another event? I seem to recall there used to be a lot of track athletes who were down to double up and would line up for their first event but then pull up after the first couple of laps. 

Yep, French sprinter in London I think took this route

in this scenario, GBR actually have plausible options in Ethan Haytor, Tarling and Zoe Backstedt who could double on road and track, allowing space possibly for a sprint 'substitute' in men's and women's track sprint

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Exactly - I think Italy took advantage of the rule in Tokyo with Ganna competing in both time trial and team pursuit. Obviously it only really works if you have qualified track athletes in one of the endurance events - can't see many track sprinters fancying the prospect of 158km road race though. 

It wouldn't surprise me if GB did something similar in Paris - whilst I think Tarling is a cert for the time trial, I could see him being subbed out of the road race in favour of one of the team pursuiters (although selectors might not want to jeopardise potential track medals) 

I can absolutely see a scenario where Tarling and Ethan Hayter both double up - Tarling in TT, Hayter in RR - that said, I forsee a very busy track schedule for Hayter possibly (Madson and Omnium).

Theoretically you could have Zoe Backstedt as at least back up in the team pursuit